The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 11, 2006, 10:59 PM   #1
dino213aa

Need help identifying an antique Colt revolver

Hey, I've got an antique Colt revolver that's been in my family for a while. We don't have any official papers on it and have no idea as to the model or value of the weapon. Are there any antique Colt enthusiasts who could help me out? I whipped up a little website to put the pictures on. The link is:

http://www.thevirginiamillion.com/coltimages

Any help you all could give would be greatly appreciated. There may be a good book out there that would help, but I don't have one handy.

Last edited by dino213aa; May 12, 2006 at 01:28 AM.
Old May 12, 2006, 04:04 PM   #2
RJay

I'm not a Colt expert but I will try and give you a little info to get you started. It looks like a 1851 Colt Navy. The markings match and the the address on the barrel is proper for the serial number range ( which is 1864). No military markings, so it was mot a Military issue per say. But! it appears that the gun has been refinished? The hammer frame and loading lever are suppost to be case hardened. Looking at the clylinder it apears as if the nipples are well used and " fire" worn. The rest of the gun looks new, too new and not the proper finish for a 1864 Navy Colt. If it has been refinished then it has lost at least half of its collectors value. If orginal value would be around 4500, if refinished then?? maybe 1500 to 2000. Maybe. Hope that helps.