The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 16, 2000, 01:06 PM   #1
45automan

Hi I have a Colt 1911 made in 1918. It is a brownish color,the bluing wears this way over time I've been told. The serial number is in the 484 thousand range. I don't have it with me at the moment. It has a very good bore. It is marked US PROPERTY on the left side of the frame. It has some slight pitting on the top of the slide just ahead of the rear sight.There is no "Model of 1911 US Army" markings on the right side. This cofuses me. Someone said that this serial number range was for guns that Colt made for the NAVY,which is why there are no US ARMY markings on the right side of the slide. Is this true? Everything on the gun is original except the grips,though they are correct for the era. What is this gun worth? Everyone who has seen the gun wants it,maybe they know something i don't. Thanks for any time in this matter,45automan
Old October 16, 2000, 08:17 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

In June, 1918, the "U.S. Property" mark was moved from the left side ahead of the trigger guard to the right side above the serial number, but that was not done until after number 500000, so the left side marking is correct for your gun.

The "Model of 1911 U.S. Army" marking should be on the right side of the slide on a 1911 made in 1918. The Navy guns were made much earlier and bore the same slide legend except for the word "NAVY" instead of "ARMY". If the marking is not there, the slide is not original to the gun or the marking has been removed. In any case, the pistol is not original and value is decreased accordingly.

There are a lot of other details and possibilities, but these points should do for a start.

Jim
Old October 17, 2000, 09:45 AM   #3
45automan

Hi just thought of something else here. If my pistol was re-issued or arsenal refinished for World War 2 would that have removed the "Model of 1911 US ARMY" stamping on the right side of the slide?