The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 21, 2010, 04:10 PM   #1
SainthoodDenied

Another one followed me home

Went to a town yesterday I don't get to often and decided to check out the gun store there I haven't been to in a few years to see if they might have something that interested me and of course they did.
While I was looking at it the guy knocked a good bit of the tagged price before I even asked so I had to bring it home with me.
Taurus/Rossi 92 large loop carbine in 38/357

Then I stopped by the local walmart and they had the whole first season dvd set of Wanted Dead or Alive for 5 bucks.

Old April 21, 2010, 05:19 PM   #2
kwhi43

Nice Chad, You got the spin down yet? I got the R&D cylinder for the Walker.
Old April 21, 2010, 09:55 PM   #3
SainthoodDenied

I figured out the spin move years ago when Winchester made the Wrangler with the large loops for awhile, I had one in 30-30 then later on in 44mag. Wish I had those two back but so goes things in the process of marriage,kids and divorce
I bet the Walker is alot of fun with the R&D cylinder, I'm still wanting to get one for a 51 navy but just haven't done it yet.
Old April 21, 2010, 11:23 PM   #4
CajunPowder

Ring on the side.

Saint:

What's the little ring on the left side?

Whut's it fer?
Old April 22, 2010, 12:08 AM   #5
arcticap

That's a nice handy looking carbine!

It's sort of serves the same purpose as a lanyard loop on mililtary pistols.

Quote:
A saddle ring is a metal ring attached to the receiver of a rifle or carbine allowing it to be tied to a saddle or used with a special sling. Saddle rings could be attached directly to the firearm...The idea behind using the saddle ring, and its carbine sling, is to allow the mounted soldier to never be separated from his weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_ring
Quote:

You thought the saddle ring on your lever action rifle was to tie it to a saddle, huh? Nope, it's to tie it to the rider. If a cavalry man falls off his horse, his saddle ring sling keeps his rifle with him.
But the best use for a saddle ring and sling is for woods hunting. If you like to stalk through the thickets after deer and hogs like I do, you'll love a saddle ring sling.

As the photo above shows, it's a no-hands carry. In cold weather you can ease along with your hands in your pockets. Or you can ease along with your shooting hand down on the rifle and ready to raise it in a flash.
...As this image shows, the sling is fully adjustable via a sliding buckle. It attaches to the saddle ring via a heavy-duty nylon clip with a strong spring closure. Although attached firmly to the saddle ring, the sling can be removed in just a couple of seconds.

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm