The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
BamaBowtie

Question about refinishing?

I am thinking about refinishing my old beater Mossy 500 with Brownell's Gun-Kote. I am worried that baking the alloy reciever at 300 deg. to cure the Gun-Kote will damage it. Is it safe to get it that hot or will it cause problems?
Old January 15, 2009, 12:10 AM   #2
keys85

It will not hurt it.
Old January 15, 2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

300 hundred is a temper you would see only on some kinds of very hard cutting tools, like files. It is nowhere near warm enough to draw down a receiver. Even one with hardened surfaces will not be hurt till you pass about 500 degrees.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 20, 2009, 11:34 AM   #4
Mac's!

300 hundred degrees wont hurt it a bit but avoid hot spots. Bring the heat up in a couple of stages to the full curing temperature. A hot spot can be caused by a part being to close to the heating elements or by doing a "flame on" until it reaches the proper temperature. Gunkote is tough finish but only after it's cured. Be gentle until it's cured.

My curing oven is a recirculating type so there's always air blowing over the parts trays. Each part stays the same temperature as the next part. The heat and times are computer controlled and uses a "ramp up" system for the heat control. It "nudges" the temperature up to the set point.

If you use a kitchen oven, etc. you have to watch the temperature guage and bring the heat up in stages to where you want it. If you just do a "flame on" to 300 degree's, it's going to go a lot further than that and then cool back down. That's bad for a fresh un-cured finish. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com