The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old July 26, 2006, 06:31 PM   #1
silicon wolverine

ROE's for CCW

I searched around and havent found a "definative" list of rules of engagement for CCW use. Ill list my own personal ones and you can critque them as you will. I live in South Dakota BTW your laws may differ.

1. Any active shooter (activly engaged in shooting at other persons) should be engaged by any means nessecasry to stop them.

2. Any one brandishing a weapon in a threatening way (pointing at other persons, making shooting getsures, speaking of shooting others) should be called to cease threats and get on the ground and if threating behavior continues, engaged.

3. any persons claiming to have a weapon that is not visible should be called to cease and get on the ground until claim of weapon is confirmed/denied and engaged appropriatly.

4. Any person using another person as a hostage should be engaged IF, AND ONLY IF, they can be engaged without harm to the hostage.

these pretty much cover anyhting i can think of ever needing to use my CCW pistol for. Keep in mind these only apply if there is no other law enfocement available or until they arrive. I dont subscribe to the "give them you money and they wont hurt you" thoery. If they have a gun in hand they have mailce in thier mind. Opinions welcomed.

SW
Old July 26, 2006, 07:02 PM   #2
KC135

Badge??

If you do not have one and are not where you can make an arrest, I suggest you find a good attorney, and have a large amount of cash available to pay him.

Might also be prepared to meet bubba if the trial does not go well.

I carry a firearm to protect me and mine. I understand the law--what a reasonable person would do in a given circumstance. Not sure you do. Suggest you talk to the prosecutor where you live.
Old July 26, 2006, 07:18 PM   #3
308Enfield

+1 KC135. I'll add that in any and all of those scenarios there is the question of what's behind your target, what happens to your bullets if you fire, and the fact that once you bring a weapon into play you've raised the stakes for yourself and everybody else. Every situation is obviously unique, but hard and fast rules that you WILL engage people who are doing anything threatening is a bad idea unless you're a LEO.
Old July 26, 2006, 07:33 PM   #4
hpg

It's probably going to differ from stat to state. Have you looked here ?

www.packing.org
Old July 26, 2006, 07:44 PM   #5
silicon wolverine

In south dakota you cant be charged with assualt, manslaughter or murder if you are shooting in defnese of yourself OR SOMEONE ELSE. KC and 308, youd just stand there and let someone else shoot at other people without interveneing in ANY way? Geez. Where i live thats called being a coward. FWIW i ALWAYS know whats behind my target before i pull the trigger. As to packing.org me and oleg got into an argument about gay folks and i dont visit his sites anymore. No bad feelings, just "you go my way and ill go mine" type deal.

SW
Old July 26, 2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Eghad

First thing would be to review the state laws on the use of force/deadly force to ensure you are in compliance with them in formulatinf courses of action. Once you let that bullet out of the gun you are responsible for where it ends up unless the state has some kind of law exempting you.

NRA Life Member
Old July 26, 2006, 07:55 PM   #7
silicon wolverine

Ok people. In the 15 minutes since i started this thread ive had 4 emails that pretty much boils down to "you're a F&*%#$ lunatic and people like you are the reason libs want to take our guns away." I expected civilized discourse and coversation not personal attacks and e mail flames. As such Staff please close this thread.

SW
Old July 26, 2006, 08:11 PM   #8
AAshooter

I think the message is that your ROE seem a little aggressive for a non-LEO. They may even be a bit simplistic.

For example, following Rule #1 you would engage a police officer in the line of duty or a rapist's victim defending her self. Be sure of your target is essential, especially for CCWers. Otherwise, you are likely to take action against the wrong party.

Second, I have no obligation to take action. Neither do the police. It is often the best course of action. If you want to call that cowardly, so be it. I am not deprieving my family and loved ones in hopes of defending a person unwilling to carry their own protection.

I suggest you re-think your ROEs and take another pass at it.