The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2015, 01:25 AM   #1
brycealbright

What is seating depth-300 blk out-125 gr nosler ballistic tip

RE: Remington 700 AAC, 300 Black Out

Thanks in advance
Old April 2, 2015, 02:27 AM   #2
skizzums

I cant give you an "official" depth. but I just loaded a couple hundred to 2.085. the same as I load the 125gr VMAX to the cannelure

very accurate bullets. feed flawless, youll like them
Old April 2, 2015, 05:17 AM   #3
brycealbright

Thanks Skizzums!

I waned to confirm what was in my Hornady Manual.
Old April 2, 2015, 05:37 AM   #4
steve4102

Hornady manual will list Hornady bullets.

You asked about Nosler bullets, use the Nosler manual if you feel their test load OAL is important.

http://www.nosler.com/nosler-load-da...-aac-blackout/

I for one never use or even look at the OAL listed in manuals. After all, they did not use my rifle in their testing.
Old April 2, 2015, 06:38 AM   #5
skizzums

it honestly isn't very important. load them to suggested length, make sure they chamber properly and then make sure the feed reliably. there are so many different strange bullets you can load into a 300blk, that there is no way to know a published oal for all of them. load them to what works for your gun. start at the actual starting loads and over pressure will not be a concern even if seating deeper than you should. watch for over pressure signs as you up the charge as you would with any loading. if you are unsure about seating depth and feel like you are seating unusually deep, do not start your work-up on the high side of data, which you shouldn't be doing anyways. 300blk is a lot of fun to load for, but finicky at times. my favorite bullet right now is the lapua 100gr "cutting edge" with a hefty dose of lil' gun. the noslers are very nice as are the hornadays. the 125gr and under seem to have best accuracy potential in my 8" 300blk, the heavyweights are fun to play with but accuracy falls off for me, even having the 1:7 twist, just not enough velocity out of my short barrel to properly shoot a 230gr bullet, although I like to try. have fun, be careful, don't get hung up on published OAL's, pay attention to your magazine length of course and try to make sure you have enough bullet in the case for proper tension. some bullets will seem extremely short and still work just fine.
Old April 2, 2015, 10:48 AM   #6
oldpapps

skizzums covered it very well.

I load to fit/work lengths.

The load must fit the magazine - even the shortest Rem 700 action should have plenty of magazine well length.

The load must feed - this is more of following the natural flow of the bullet, too fat of bullet meta plate can/will hang up on some feed ramps - again, you are feeding a bolt action and should have little trouble.

The case neck hold must be strong - too little bullet shank in the case neck will give a weak hold - the old adage was bullet diameter in the case works but with taper/factory crimping, less will work.

Now it is a matter of searching for 'that' loading combination that gives the best of what you want. Always start with the beginning charge and work from there.

I work with modified bullets (cast mold) and sometimes with propellants that there just isn't any data for (Olin 630). I have learned to work slowly with the minimum charges.

Just ALL WAYS LOAD WITH CARE. If you have concerns with safety, don't! Better to not and complain about it than to do it and hurt yourself/weapon.

Enjoy,

OSOK