The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 18, 2013, 11:32 PM   #1
mattL46

Need a little Mauser help

Hello all. I am reaching out to you who are educated in the art of mausering! Just would like a little help in identifying the country of origin. Tips and tactics are much appreciated. This might be a tough one I fear its been refinished more than once for the stampings are nearly gone. Should I take the stock off in search of numbers and symbols? Thanks in advance folks!!!

Cody

Sorry almost forgot its a 98 in 8mm.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:46 PM   #2
emcon5

Take a bunch of photos and post them for us to look at. Use the macro setting on your camera, it looks like a flower.
Old March 20, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just some generalities. Mauser rifles were used all over the world and Mauser derivatives (Springfield, Arisaka) used in others. But the number of countries actually MAKING Mausers is limited. So the "where it was made" is often easier to answer than "where it was used."

The latter answer can usually be found on the receiver ring, where a national crest or symbol and often the name of the nation will be found. Even when the writing is not English or not even in Roman characters, the country will usually be obvious or easily found.

Other means of identifying the manufacturing country lies in proof marks, inspection marks, or military acceptance stamps, either on the metal or the wood stock.

As for other identification, look on the left side rail, where many makers stamped their names. When a full name or identification is not found, other information may be. For example, "Mod. 98" always means the rifle is (or was if it has been modified) a German Karabiner 98k, or K.98k, the standard German rifle of the WWII era.

Jim
Old March 21, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
mattL46

Thanks Jim. I'll try and get some pics up soon. There is a barely visible shield shaped crest if you will on the chamber end of the barell. I fear that refinishing has all but wiped away any other marks. I'll remove the stock soon and investigate further.
Old March 22, 2013, 05:35 PM   #5
-Xero-

There's a Mauser Forum online --

http://www.mausercentral.com/forum/

Heaps of books available on Mauser ID. Should be some ample online sources w/ photos.

Lots of Mausers were captured post-WWII, the markings "scrubbed" and they were re-issued, or warehoused. Refinish is often part of this process. I was buying these up from Big 5 Sporting Goods back when they were selling Turk Mausers for $49.99 out the door. I also found a Swede Oberndorf in a pawn shop. (Should have never sold that one!)

If the receiver crest has been scrubbed, there are probably some markings on the barrel, under the wood. The Nazi Eagle/Swastika (Waffenamp) appears on the side of the barrel, near the breech, and is often scrubbed too. What and where things have been scrubbed is part of the ID process.

My BRNO 98/22 has sight markings in Farsi (? Arabic/Turkish ?).

I have a Czech M 48 short rifle, 8mm. Big 5 sold lots of these unfired. They're warehouse refurbished I think, or unissued.

Back in 1995, Mausers were a glut on the market, cheap, not particularly collectable nor rare. The supply is probably dried up a bit -- along with the surplus 1940's Ecuadoran ammo going for about $50 a case of 1000 rds.

If you Google "Mauser" / "Mauser Markings" and start following links, you'll soon have more information than you can imagine. It's all over the place.

Last edited by -Xero-; March 22, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 10:14 AM   #6
mattL46

Thanks xero when I get the time I'll remove the wood and go from there.