The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2010, 09:17 AM   #1
OptimusGrime

Question About A Shotgun.....

I saw this shotgun over at buds:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/20752

I was wondering what model this is? It says its a Remington but I do not recognize it....

The price seems awfully cheap for a Remington semi-auto and it has me curious...
Old January 15, 2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Dustin0

Its a SPR imported by remington its a Russia made gun. I have an O/U and single shot made buy them. There great guns for the money. They dont NOT used rem chokes they take Tru Lock chokes.
Old January 15, 2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Chipperman

Quote:
Its a SPR imported by remington its a Russia made gun.
So that ad is a bit misleading then.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Dustin0

Well kinda of here is a little more info on it. It says Spartan Gunworks is a division of Remington that manufactures rifles and shotguns in Russia.

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0210.html
Old January 15, 2010, 11:15 AM   #5
OptimusGrime

Interesting....I've heard good things about the O/U's but I have not seen many comments on the autoloader....anyone with personal experience?

From what I've always been told, if you spend less than 600-700 on any semi-auto shotgun then you are asking for trouble. However, I have heard good things about the Stoeger Model 2000 as it has the Inertia Driven system instead of gas.

This is similar to the Benelli Super Black Eagle

So my real question, I guess, is "Are these cheaper semi-autos really worth it?"
Old January 15, 2010, 12:09 PM   #6
RoscoeC

I can't speak to the Baikal (Remington) guns as I have no personal experience with them. However, I have a Stoger M2000 and it has been highly reliable. Add to this the fact that it takes Beretta Mobil chokes which are about as common as dirt and it is absolutely a bargain at the $399.00 that I spent for it. I have about a thousand rounds or so through it with nary a problem. I did find one round that it didn't like so much, Centurion 3/4 oz. loads would eject, but would not quite cycle back enough to pick up the next round. I really didn't expect it to work, but I had to try it. I regularly shoot 1 oz. loads in it with no problems whatsoever.

Good cheap shotgun. In my opinion, of course. Most of the haters would probably love them if they were made somewhere besides Turkey.
NRA Life Member
Old January 15, 2010, 06:08 PM   #7
OptimusGrime

Thanks for the info! I figured that everyone has their own opinion of the brands but it is good to hear about real experience.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:10 PM   #8
SDC

These are made at the Baikal/Izhevsk factory as the MP-153.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:39 PM   #9
LollerCopter

Never new of russian remingtons..... At first glance it looked like a cheap remington 1100 knock off.. does it function as well?
Old March 26, 2010, 10:43 PM   #10
Beentown71

Anyone with personal experience with these? Great value if it works as intended.

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink