The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 24, 2006, 09:45 PM   #1
ScotZ

Best Type Conceal Holster

I have a Sig 229 but have never "carried it". I was just looking for opinions for the best holster to conceal carry with. CONCEAL being the operative word. What are your opinions and experiances.

TIA
Scot
Old November 24, 2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Greg_Dunn

most people will swear by IWB carry as being the best for concealment, some find it to be a little uncomfortable I hated it until recently but for concealment it hides even my 226 well and comfortably, it took me two years to design the IWB holster that I use and it has been popular with my customers.

I conceal a 226 8 hours + daily and carry it both IWB and OWB depending upon what I am going to be doing.

Handcrafted concealment leather for the working man
Old December 24, 2006, 02:51 PM   #3
NCHornet

For my tastes I don't care of a IWB holster, I prefer a pancake in leather or nylon, but prefer leather. I recently purchased a Bianchi Carry Loc that I am very happy with. Here is my report.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=232293
Old December 25, 2006, 03:43 AM   #4
Ifishsum

I found IWB to be the most versatile and comfortable, worn at 4:00 just behind the hip bone (I'm right handed) with an untucked shirt. I use a smartcarry when I have to tuck in.
Old December 25, 2006, 11:59 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Too many variables

Sorry, but there is no single "Best" mode of carry for everyone, any more than there is a single "Best" handgun, type food, vehicle, or type spouse for everyone.

As to carry, much depends on your body type, life style, and the clothing you wear on a daily basis. If you're willing to wear a cover garment such as a suit or sport jacket every day, the choices are far simpler. If not, you must become more choosy about how and where you pack your pistol.

I carried a 1911 type inside my waistband for years. As my age became more advanced, and when I lost some weight, I began having problems with the pressure the pistol and holster put on some nerve. It caused leg numbness in a short time, and later intense pain. This had to do with my body type, and might or might not pertain to some other individual.

Several years before I retired, I settled on the Bianchi Minimalist belt slide holster for every day wear of my Commander. It rides high, pulls the pistol against my side, and allows for rapid access. This arrangement requires a cover garment. Since I retired, I've been carrying a .38 snub in my pocket far more often than the full size service pistol. this allows me a lot more latitude in the way I dress.

I can only suggest that you try as many different holsters as possible, to see what suits you best.
Best regards,
Johnny
Old January 11, 2007, 12:10 PM   #6
FiveGunsPerYear

I have to agree with Johnny Guest on this one and I actually sell holsters. You've got to try them out and see what works for you. Everyone has a different idea of concealment, different ideas of comfort, etc. Also, depending on what you wear - you'll need different levels of concealment. Not to mention what kind of handgun you plan to carry. I've had days when I used as many as three different holsters for concealment - simply based on what I was doing at the time. If I'm wearing jeans - I like a small ankle holster. If I've only got a t-shirt and shorts - I like a belly wrap holster or chestband holster. If I'm going to be fairly active while I'm carrying - I like to use an inside the waistband holster. Guess there really isn't a good anwer...