The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 1999, 03:24 AM   #1
tobeat1

Hey guys, my wife's kitten managed to get up on my reloading bench and decided that it would be fun to see my dillon scales bounce off the floor. I have'nt called dillon yet, but is it possible to recalibrate the scales? They are waaaaayyyy off.
Old November 15, 1999, 03:31 AM   #2
frogman6

From what I know of Dillon they will probably just send you a new one for free.

------------------
frogman6
Old November 15, 1999, 04:36 AM   #3
John Lawson

Geez! That WAS a cat-ass-trophy.
(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old November 15, 1999, 11:23 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I think the cat may have taken your scales single life, they are pretty delicate. The scale not the cat. However, to answer your question, it should be possible to recalibrate the scale. I'm not familiar with the Dillon, but the Pacts have a calibrate button. You place specific, known weights on the pan when the scale calls for them.
Old November 15, 1999, 12:54 PM   #5
Cat

My four cats pretty much walk all over my loading benches. They do not knock things off. Maybe you have a Klutz Cat.
Oh yeah, call Dillon on recalibrating the scales. They should know if and how it can be done. If not, I'll bet they solve your problem one way or another.

Neil Casper
Old November 15, 1999, 02:31 PM   #6
Spencer Stewart

Hmmm, I'm wondering if wife's kitten might have been framed...

Spencer
Old November 15, 1999, 05:51 PM   #7
Alan B

Send it to dillion it its dillion blue they usually fix or replace from what Ive heard. Never had any of their stuff break on me yet (knock on wood)
Old November 15, 1999, 07:24 PM   #8
STLRN

My wife has a cat that is over 30lbs, walks all over my reloading bench, never pushed anything off of it though.
Old November 15, 1999, 09:36 PM   #9
Big Bunny

Bad luck...Well I don't use the actual brand, but a check weight set(Lyman $25) and a shaved #10 shot solved my problem and got my Redding reading spot-on(not within the usual margin 1/10gn often quoted). If something is bent, inconsistencies may be the (safety) problem but that would be easily seen and checked. Also clean the bearings/gimbals/knife edges of cat-hair etc EG with alcohol!
The damping also should be inspected.

The real solution is to put the sensitive scales away in the special box each time you use them.........or shoot the kitty-cat(I jest).

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old November 15, 1999, 10:39 PM   #10
TheOtherMikey

Hey Tobeat1, you never did tell us how much that cat weighed. LOL

Call Dillon tech support and they will take care of you. I live here in Dillon country and have seen people walk into the front sales room with a whole loading system and say "It broke" and the Dillon folks took it back into the factory part and fixed it, no problem, no pay. You got the right brand, thats for sure.

Regards, Mikey
Old November 16, 1999, 05:44 PM   #11
alan

It's not really the cat's fault. One we had used to climb up on my desk/bench and closely examine press operation, while the ram went up and down. They are simply curious.

She once spilled a cigar box full of brass, and immediately ran away to hide from me. Came out a while later, and was more cautious. I gave her a couple of cases to play with, which seemed to quench her curiousity re the reloading process.

While sometimes annoying, I found that a cat usually "earns it's keep". If you keep one, you have to realize that the creature you are sharing your house with is not really "domesticated".