The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2000, 11:37 AM   #1
ruger45

Anyone have links on these to some gunmags discussing them or what have you.
One of those things where I saw an article but didnt get into it,
later I just grab them at a gunshow without knowing didly about them.
I try them in my mossberg 590 and they simply flip when I try to chamber them.
Also considering the size of these thing I assume they are for defense as I find it hard to picture too many animals you can hit with the half shells at the range they can cover.
Comments.....

------------------
"those who sacrifice
liberty for security deserve neither"
Old August 8, 2000, 03:36 PM   #2
ljlcdl

Yeah, they didn't feed in my Mossberg either. Good idea for HD if they could make them work.

ljlc
Old August 8, 2000, 05:26 PM   #3
Boneyard

I have heard that in certain guns that you need to make some minor modifications to make them feed,I can't remember exactly what they were.
I think tese shells were first developed for tactical use in an urban environment where you did'nt want a lot of penetration.
Maybe someone else here can enlighten us...I can't seem to remember things like I used to..
they say your memory is the second thing to go...I forget what the first one is..

------------------
SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE ONLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO KILL THEM
Old August 8, 2000, 08:01 PM   #4
Gunslinger

They were originally developed for defensive purposes where over penetration is an issue, i.e., in doors. They do state that they are really intended for double barrels and will not function in a semi-auto or most pump actions. A friend of mine just had an Ithica model 37 custom smithed to handle the short shells but says it will not work with regualr shells after t he modifications. George down in the Smithy forum may be able to explain the mods required to make them work in a pump.

------------------
Gunslinger
Old August 8, 2000, 10:43 PM   #5
racine

I queried the company about 2" shotshells as an alternate to these babies. As I understand the 2" shells will cycle through semi autos and pump types and they also allow more capacity in your tubes. I believe the English did use 2" shells for a long time but they are not available in this country as we speak. I made suggestions to the Aguila co. rep. and he agreed to consider based on possible demand...
TR

------------------
TR
Old August 9, 2000, 09:00 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Brits 2 inch shell had a different mission that what we're discussing here. The Brits wanted to make an ultra light 12 ga that didn't kick terribly with loads more often seen here in the 20-28 ga range. A catalog I had showed loads of 15/16 oz down to 3/4 oz.The guns themnselves ran 5-6 lbs.

As to why they went this way instead of just using a smaller gauge, you'd have to ask them.One advantage to a 2" 12 bore instead of a 20, the pattern would be better due to the shorter shot string.