The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 25, 2014, 10:19 PM   #1
MagnumWill

Ouch!! Dual Loading SLP mk1 for 3-gun

Hey everyone. Recently my work's gun club has been offering 3-gun matches, and I'm hooked. One of my fellow three-gunners loaned me his SLP for one of the stages (I was planning on getting one in the near future, 3-gun or not) and i fell in love with it. So, long story short I picked one up. Taking his queue with loading, I've been teaching myself to do the load 2 method using Taccom 8-Up rigs. I'm starting to get pretty proficient at it, however if my thumb isn't in the perfect location I'll get it caught in the shell elevator upon ramming the rounds home in the magazine. Needless to say, it hurts enough that I would like to prevent its reoccurence . I'm not sure if any other guns like the Versamax do the same thing, but I wanted to see if anybody has any tips or modifications that i can do that limits the finger-pinchiness of this guy. New hand position, modifying the shell elevator, etc. ?
Old November 2, 2014, 11:15 PM   #2
semi_problomatic

Know its kinda old, but since no one answered...

I've never used a SLP, but a lot of guys get their carriers welded up. I've started turning my thumb sideways to fit between my forks and it works pretty well. I don't know why they make the lifters like this. I've even read the versamax tactical comp's elevator is too short and forked. You'd think the gun makers would catch on by now that welding carriers are one of the more common mods.