The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Mystro

How long to Froglube all of these?(excesive pistol sickness pics)

I decided to Froglube some of my pistols. I started at 10am and worked non stop to 3pm. I had to degrease and strip all the oil off of them, heat, Froglube and wipe off. My reloading room smells like I was wearing Bengay, chewing Skoal and my hands are burnt from the heating gun. This is the first time I took a pic of more than 2 guns at a time. The sad part is, these are not all my pistols. Its a sickness......

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old February 5, 2013, 04:42 PM   #2
BarryLee

Quote:
The sad part is, these are not all my pistols.
Brother, there ain’t anything sad about that collection of hardware.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 5, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Dragline45

Quote:
The sad part is, these are not all my pistols. Its a sickness......
If you really feel that bad about it and want to cure yourself, feel free to send me a few. Ill be glad to take them off your hands!
Old February 5, 2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Mystro

Honestly, Its snowing out and my kids are home from school. I would have loved to have a few gun buddies come over and help me out Froglubing my guns. I pay in beer and cigars. I cant do any more guns for a while. My fingers are burnt from handling hot gun parts for for hours at a time.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; February 6, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
The Great Mahoo

Playing/admiring firearms, then beer and cigars? Where do I sign up?

Nice looking collection there, by the way.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:31 PM   #6
CUBAN REDNECK

I've never used Froglube, could you explain the part about heating the weapons. Is it a necessary step?
Old February 5, 2013, 10:45 PM   #7
Mystro

It's designed to be absorbed into the pours of the metal. You need to clean all the oil and grease off the guns, heat the parts up with a blow dryer or heat gun to 120-140 degrees, apply liberal amounts and let the gun sit and cool. Wipe off excess and your done . The gun runs slicker than any other product i have ever used and the product doesn't let powder stick. The smell alone makes it a better choice for your hunting guns. It smells exactly like Original Skoal Wintergreen. Its food grade so could eat he stuff or handle/breath it without any hazardous chemicals. So far I am very impressed. It's does every thing in one treatment, cleans, lubricates, and protects against rust in harsh environments. It's safe on all finishes and sights.

The video shows it easier.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqQ_GEC6EKE

http://www.froglube.com/productinfo.htm

Last edited by Mystro; February 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:46 PM   #8
AK103K

They seem to keep changing the heating part. The first couple of bottles I had said to warm the gun first, a couple in the middle said to heat it prior to applying it when you were going to store the gun, and the last couple say nothing about it.

Ive been using it for awhile now, so now I dont even bother. I dont notice any difference in performance between the guns I did heat, and those I didnt.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:55 PM   #9
Mystro

A byproduct of heating the gun is it thins out the Froglube and let's it run down into the guns tight spaces.
It's easier to apply when warm like hot butter. I just smear it everywhere. It's like covering your entire gun with Teflon. Nothing sticks to it. I noticed my 1911 pulls out of its leather holster faster.

AK103K, does your guns still feel as slick weeks after the first treatment???

Last edited by Mystro; February 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:43 AM   #10
Theohazard

I love Froglube. It's great stuff. And if you're Froglubing your friends' guns for them that's awesome.

Though, I noticed that Governor sure looks like it's loaded.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:18 AM   #11
2ndsojourn

This is the first I've heard of Froglube. How many cleanings does it last through? Or do you have to re-apply every time you clean the gun? Or is there some cleaning solvents you shouldn't use to prolong the effectiveness?

And where would you apply it on a revolver?
Old February 6, 2013, 07:17 AM   #12
Mystro

Pic was taken when I was done and all my guns were ready to be put back in service. There are a few guns that are always kept loaded and play a security role in my house for quick access.

It's too much of a hassle to get some of my guns all together for a pic. This was the only convenient time I had most of them in the same room. My car,ATV, and boat guns are still out there. I will Froglube them another day.

Quote:
Though, I noticed that Governor sure looks like it's loaded.

Last edited by Mystro; February 6, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:42 AM   #13
AK103K

Quote:
How many cleanings does it last through? Or do you have to re-apply every time you clean the gun?
2ndsojourn,

You replace your other cleaners with it and use it exclusively. I use it for "most" of my guns these days, but I dont use it on my "precision" guns, as its not a copper solvent, and does not remove copper fouling.

They have recently come out with a "solvent", but I found it to be about useless, and it doesnt seem to clean anything at all. I wouldnt waste the money on it.

Speaking of money, thats the one real downside to FrogLube, the cost. Its pricey stuff. One small bottle of the CLP is about $15, and it goes pretty quick.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:06 PM   #14
Theohazard

Quote:
Pic was taken when I was done and all my guns were ready to be put back in service. There are a few guns that are always kept loaded and play a security role in my house for quick access.
That makes sense. I didn't mean to criticize; I thought that was a pic taken at some point during the cleaning process and it seemed odd to have one loaded.

Quote:
Speaking of money, thats the one real downside to FrogLube, the cost. Its pricey stuff. One small bottle of the CLP is about $15, and it goes pretty quick.
I prefer the paste over the liquid for most applications. It lasts longer, and it keeps the gun lubricated longer, even after many rounds have been fired. One small tub of the paste lasts me quite a while.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:16 PM   #15
AK103K

I use the CLP for cleaning, and on occasion, the paste on my brushes when the bore is really dirty. Normally, I just use the paste as a lube when Im finished cleaning.

Im still on my first little tub of paste, but Ive been through quite a few of the 4 oz bottles of the CLP, and now just buy it in the 8oz bottles. At $25 a pop, its a bit cheaper, but its still pretty pricey compared to other cleaners.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:17 AM   #16
KO3422

Froglube wasn't too shabby. I prefer the paste as I think it stays on longer.

I also like M-Pro7 LPX or Mobil 1 Synthetic.