The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 26, 2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Sparky33

A pleasant surprise

I been out of town for a bit and I was pleasantly surprised to see that there is a new place to disuss my new (and growing) addiction. I just requested my C&R forms. So I was thinking about picking up something new when I get approved. I already have an SKS 59/66 and a Mosin M44(russian).

Anything I should pick up quickly? I read on TFL that the Swiss rifles are drying up. So if anyone has some useful info please toss it this way. Thanks in advance.
Old August 29, 2008, 03:48 AM   #2
moose fat

An M1 Garand should be on your list, just because.

Collecting is all up to you! I started because our only gun dealer in our village wouldn't order me an Ishy 2a so I got a C&R lisence and got it myself. Then because it was an Enfield and I could get rifles through the mail and I have five sons and two daughters so I thought they might like an Enfield too...

You need to be very cautious though that this new found freedom doesn't become an addiction. There used to be a thread just for Milsurp-o-holics where frustrations about the lack of funds or aquiring parts and pieces, or ammo, for guns you want but don't have yet could be vented. Members would try to talk you back onto the wagon, or enable you. Baby steps are good!

To answer your question about what to get; check out the internet auction sites and C&R dealer sites and watch them over time. You will get a feel, or a head ache from scrolling, or just see whats being traded and sold. Do some searches "Google is Your Friend" and TFL also. Check out some mostly C&R forum sites;
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm...firearmsforums

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/

http://www.milsurps.com/

Last edited by moose fat; August 29, 2008 at 03:52 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old August 29, 2008, 09:15 AM   #3
woad_yurt

May I recommend something in 7.62x25? Like a CZ 52? TT33? (That came out sounding like a waiter said it.) Anyway....

It's a great caliber. I think CZ 52s will soon be costly, just watch. And, if you swap out that awful firing pin, you'll have a great shooter. The TT33 types, IMO, need nothing and when the supply dries up, they're going to cost, too. Three years from now, the above guns will cost more than twice what they cost now and people will be grumbling about it, like they presently do with Makarovs. If I could afford it, I'd buy pallets of CZ 52s and TT33 types now and sell them in 7 years.
Old August 30, 2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Sparky33

Thanks for the info fellas
Old August 31, 2008, 06:16 AM   #5
tshadow6

Fn 49

FN 49s are in this month's J&G catalog. Too bad they're $900.00 I wanted one until I realized I could get an M1 Garand for $500-700.00
Old September 3, 2008, 09:24 PM   #6
carguychris

My next purchase will probably be a British, Canadian, or Aussie Lee-Enfield. They are still reasonably inexpensive, but I've heard rumors that the bottom of the surplus barrel has been reached . Most of the ones coming out of the mainstream suppliers look terrible.
Old September 27, 2008, 12:40 AM   #7
yodarkritch

What To Buy

Everybody has Mosin Nagant 91/30's but after The Russo Finnish conflict the Finns recovered thousands of Mosin Nagant 91 Rifles which they reconfigured for use by their forces in 1936

They are called 91/36s and the stock and front end is altered and many stock pieces are fashioned with special zig zag joints and then they are finished with a brown stain. Some say it's potassium permanganate. i dunno

BUT the 91/36 is much more attractive than the 91/30 and I snagged one from Burns Wholesale as an ANTIQUE. Pat took my C & R but a driver's license is all you need to get one of these from the site listed below. It is regarded as ANTIQUE because it is built on a 1891 receiver.

Mine arrived properly packed and virtually flawless condition. It was AS DESCRIBED

They aint cheap but no Finn Mosin Nagants are

//www.gunsnammo.com/

yodar

Last edited by yodarkritch; September 27, 2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: poor spelling
Old September 27, 2008, 01:03 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...the bottom of the surplus barrel has been reached..." That happened long ago with Lee-Enfields. Even one in pristine condition with matching numbers can have bad headspace. And #2 and 3 bolt heads are scarce.
"...my C&R..." I've never understood why anybody would want one given the amount of required paperwork.
"...An M1 Garand should be on your list..." Yep. There is absolutely no rifle that's quite like an M1 rifle. And just because is reason enough. No C&R required though. The CMP doesn't require it. And you get a rifle you know is safe to shoot.
Old September 27, 2008, 05:32 AM   #9
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodarkritch
Everybody has Mosin Nagant 91/30's but after The Russo Finnish conflict the Finns recovered thousands of Mosin Nagant 91 Rifles which they reconfigured for use by their forces in 1936

They are called 91/36s and the stock and front end is altered and many stock pieces are fashioned with special zig zag joints and then...
Huh?

The Finns have used the Mosin ever since there was an independent Finland; since the country was a former province of Tsarist Russia and contained more than one armory, there were plenty on hand to begin with.

There is no Finnish Mosin designated the "91/36".

But, yes, the supply of good Finnish Mosins is drying up. Rifles from countries with a tradition of riflery, like Switzerland or Finland, tend to be much better kept up than the stuff that comes in from former East Bloc countries or Southwestern Asia, and the Finnish Mosins, especially the M28/30 and M39, are very finely crafted weapons.
Old September 27, 2008, 01:10 PM   #10
noelf2

Quote:
Three years from now, the above guns will cost more than twice what they cost now
woad, if the cheap milsurp ammo dries up too, you may find that nobody will want one and they'll come right back down in price again. I'd advise buying as much surplus ammo for them as possible as well. In fact, the ammo might be a better investment.
Old September 29, 2008, 09:23 AM   #11
jsmaye

Quote:
"...my C&R..." I've never understood why anybody would want one given the amount of required paperwork.
It's not like filling out a car loan or mortgage application. It's a simple front 'n' back form filled out twice. And it's not hard to make back the $30 fee on dealer pricing, not having to engage 01 dealers when buying, etc.