The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 6, 2001, 02:39 PM   #1
Will Beararms

Smith DAO Trigger

I picked up an NIB 3953 S&W DAO for $379.00 tax. Before the hailstorm of flames come it appears this was a pre-agrrement. The gun would not sell since it's DAO and the store owner told me so.

I took it to the range today for the second time and I am in the Bull's Eye at 7 and 15 yards when I slow down, use the proper form and don't jerk.

My question is: will the trigger smooth out in time? If so, I would rather alllow it to naturally brake in versus any polishing.

I also noted that the slide stop pin gouged the outside of the frame where the rear part of the stop meets the frame but it has stopped since the first trip to the range. I chalk that up to the natural abrasion that occurs when two metals of dissimilar durometer hardnesses mate. Elsewhere on the frame, there is no sign of gouging at all unlike the Beretta and Sigs I have owned.

This is my first Smith and no it's not as accurate as others but it is very well built and the edges are rounded off nicely. The thing bucks like a mule for a 9mm but it is almost as if the designers studied how the hand grips the frame and machined it accordingly. The machine work is as clean an crisp as any pistol I have ever owned or handled.

Thanks for your input.
Old December 6, 2001, 04:58 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The S&W DAO's have pretty good trigger pulls, and I think accuracy is simply a matter of practice and getting used to the idea. I have shot several makes of DAO and also shoot a lot of revolver DA and IMHO, a DAO might just be better than a conventional DA/SA, because it has no change in pull.

IMHO, trigger pull smoothness and consistency are much more important (within reason) than lightness. If you like the gun otherwise, I would say go for it.

Jim
Old December 6, 2001, 06:17 PM   #3
Will Beararms

I bought it and plan on keeping it. I did note today that when I used form and squeezed the trigger, I was in the Bovine Ocular area and the groups were tight.
Old December 7, 2001, 05:35 PM   #4
VictorLouis

Well, it certainly can be smoother after some judicious polishing, just like any other gun. It will feel lighter as a side benefit. Novak's, and Actions by T are two that come to mind for Smith autos.
Old December 8, 2001, 12:11 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, VictorLouis,

I agree, but the S&W pull is one of the better ones as is. I usually recommend some shooting before spending big bucks on a trigger job. Of course I don't, because I do all my own work, but I have known cases where expensive trigger jobs left a gun worse than before or even dangerous.

Jim
Old December 8, 2001, 12:48 AM   #6
Will Beararms

As a former alloy steel salesman, I think I will let it break in au natural. If I don't get used to it or see some smoothing after the first 1K rounds then I might send it back to Smith for some fine tuning. I bet I get used to it though.

Thanks
Old December 9, 2001, 09:23 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Unless one has experience or an experienced person to supervise, a gun can come out worse than before - just like Jim warned. Like Jim, I've seen some bad trigger jobs that required some work to restore to safe conditions.

BTW, I tend to work on cheaper to replace parts than expensive and hard to get parts. If I mess up, my mistakes don't cost so much. There's only a few times I've actually did some work on the frame. Please keep that in mind.