The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 27, 2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Herluf

Concealed Carry bags for men?

Hoping to get my CCL next year and I'm thinking about different ways of carrying. Currently I'm shooting a M84 mostly now, but will probably be going with a Ruger LCP for my carry piece.

Laugh if you must, but I'm a bit of a hipster. I dress fashionably, in clothes that fit relatively closely and it seems that this might limit the types of holsters that I can use without revealing my weapon, especially in the summertime. A fanny pack isn't going to cut it and one of the PDA style holsters is less than ideal (though it might end up being my final choice). Thus, I've been thinking about carrying in a shoulder carried bag like a messenger bag or similar.

Do any of you guys carry this way?
Does such a product exist that isn't a purse?
Old August 27, 2014, 05:20 PM   #2
JWT

The .380 LCP fits easily into a pocket. You can buy a very thin pocket holster to prevent it from printing.

Bags might be available, but doubt many men are using them.
Old August 27, 2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Unlicensed Dremel

The main issue with something like that is, one tiny lapse of memory and you leave it somewhere, in which case you've just been per se negligent, and opened the door to (possibly) all manner of bad mojo.

But I'd look for something along the lines of a portfolio / notebook with a zipper all the way around (there are products like this), if you're a professional and it wouldn't look out of place for you to carry such - that is, if you DO do that.

But I'd recommend trying something like SmartCarry or pocket carry (in a pocket holster) as a preferred option, for an abundance of prudence... espec. if you're past 40 and as prone to forgetfulness as *some* of us over 40 are.
Old August 27, 2014, 05:48 PM   #4
jscottjones88

I saw a travel backpack at Sportsman's warehouse a while back that had a zipper pocket right at the small of your back - perfect size for a mid sized handgun, and it seemed like with a bit of practice one handed access wouldn't be hard

unfortunately, i can't remember who made it, nor can i find it online right now
Old August 27, 2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

Pocket holster. I used a DeSantis Super Fly. Used to back pocket carry. Had P3AT, P32, LCP, or NAA Guardian pistols in back pocket and no one knew it was there.
Old August 27, 2014, 08:06 PM   #6
X_shooter

I have several Maxpedition tactical man bags. I feel they are only good if you are going to wear it constantly, never set it down, or let it out of your sight. No exceptions. You should use one only when you have no other options and for a specific purpose. I use mine when hiking, biking, fishing and other activities when I dont wear pants that allow pocket or iwb carry.

Avoid using it as an accessory where carrying is not its primary purpose. For example you buy a messenger bag that you take everywhere with a laptop or tablet with a bunch of other crap that wont fit in your pants and some times you pack a gun in it. Your mind will not remember the gun because of the familiarity of its primary purpose and you will treat it like just a gadget bag and may lose control of it. Just my .02

You would be surprised how well you could conceal in your tight clothes. Search faliaphotagraphy on youtube and see what she manages to pack away wearing some form fitting clothing. No offense or comparison, just an example.
Old August 27, 2014, 08:26 PM   #7
skizzums

im relatively young and still wear pretty tight clothes, you really don't need a holster at all. that lcp will fit right in your pocket and no one will know the better. I carry a slightly larger .357 in my front pocket no matter what pair of jeans I wanna wear. only thing I consider is 1. is the gun snug enough to stay put and not get flipped upside down. 2. can I easily draw from pocket, quickly and SAFELY(always a yes, just practice a little)

get in the habit of keeping that pocket for your gun, don't put keys or lighter etc in there with it

when you get your lcp, you'll be amazed at how un-noticeable it is. i don't own a single holster and i weigh 140lbs at 6 feet. i have a pair of abercrombies that are so tight you could make out my un-mentionables before my firearm
Old August 27, 2014, 09:03 PM   #8
BradS

I carry a "Safepacker" bag when I wear shorts. The bag is well built,holds an extra mag and thus far no one has given me the "ah gun bag" look.
Old August 29, 2014, 10:53 PM   #9
boondocker385

+1 to x_shooter.....found a backpack just last week someone thought would be good to carry a gun in...until they left it at Starbucks......
Old August 29, 2014, 11:47 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bike messenger bag if you're on a bicycle. Wear your helmet and no one will think a thing.
Old August 30, 2014, 10:57 AM   #11
BarryLee

In the past I’ve used a Timbuk 2 messenger bag that looks very much like a traditional bike messenger bag. However, in the flap is a zipper that allows quick access to a laptop sleeve. You could easily carry a handgun in the laptop sleeve and quickly access it through the open zipper. Spend some time on Amazon looking at various bags and see if anything clicks.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 30, 2014, 02:24 PM   #12
roashooter

been using an eagle creek guide bag for years.... holds my BHP perfectly...and keep wallet..car keys...spare glasses...kershaw boa....and a few other odd items.
as far as it being considered a man purse.....only if your insecure with masculinity will it matter one little ...chit....
and I am always aware of where it is...and leaving it behind...just has not happened..nor will it
Old August 30, 2014, 05:29 PM   #13
spacecoast

It could be that "hipsters" don't have back pockets (I wouldn't know), but such holsters are ideal for the LCP. They present the gun's grip in an easy-to-grasp orientation (assuming you are right handed). The flat leather side helps it to print just about like a wallet would.