The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Vireye

I can (almost) finally buy a fun gun, and want some advice.

After years of scraping by financially, followed by six months of unemployment, I am finally in a good position. It's not my dream job by any means, but it more than pays the bills and is more than I've ever made before.

This is in addition to a number of other positive changes in my life, personal and professional, and I've decided to self-indulge a bit.

All my firearms have a practical purpose, whether its CCW, home defense, or maintaining professional proficiency. I've always made a conscious decision to stay away from firearms that don't fit into one of those categories, as I simply couldn't afford to have a "safe queen". I had a bit of an epiphany the other day when I realized I sort of segmented my entire life that way, there was never room for anything that didn't serve some sort of purpose.

Well, nuts to that.

So, with a limited budget (about $1500) I want to buy a handgun that will be a fun day-at-the-range gun, and a safe queen. She won't be out on the town much, but damn is she won't make an impression when she is.

I want to buy that handgun I always thought was "so cool" as a kid, and dreamed of owning, but never really thought I would: a Desert Eagle.

Originally I planned to just get a .357 Magnum model, as it's one of my favorite cartridges. I've never fired a 44 Magnum DE before.

I know they can be finicky with ammo, but I've heard that the 44 Magnum can be more reliable in a broader sense than the .357...has anyone here had any experience in this regard?

This purchase is probably a month or two out, and I want to be as informed as possible...

Just to head it off at the pass, I don't want any sort of debates about buying a fun gun, or why would I need a DE, etc. This is literally the one firearm I don't WANT to have a specific purpose for...
Old April 16, 2014, 10:05 PM   #2
Sabrewolfe

As I understand it, due to it using a gas recoil system similar to a rifle, rather than the typical blowback types used in 'lesser' pistols, the DE cycles better with higher power ammo. Also, a lot of the so-called ammo issues are actually limp wristing resulting from the somewhat awkward size of the grip: you may have noticed a fair number of reports where chronic cycling issues magically vanish when a different person tests the gun. I've actually seen this first hand, as well. Have a guy that comes in with a .50AE periodically, and he will routinely run 300-400 rounds at a go without a single failure, but when other people try it, we'll see it FTE/FTF left and right.

Out of curiosity, if you are just looking for a range toy, why the .357 or .44 Magnum instead of the full on .50AE?
Old April 16, 2014, 10:09 PM   #3
Doyle

Quote:
I know they can be finicky with ammo, but I've heard that the 44 Magnum can be more reliable in a broader sense than the .357...has anyone here had any experience in this regard?
I have NEVER seen any reports that a .44 mag is any more reliable than a .357.

As to a Desert Eagle, I don't know about their smaller calibers but the De .50AE was known for not being accurate. My hunting buddy (who is a superb shot) couldn't get his to group any better than "shotgun pattern" size. Needless to say, he didn't keep it long.
Old April 16, 2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Vireye

There are a few reasons I haven't really looked at the 50AE. One is ammo availability: while it would be just a range toy, I would like to be able to shoot it whenever I want, instead of only when I can find ammo. The 44 isn't MUCH better, but it's a bit easier to find...another (pretty stupid) issue is my primary range. The handgun range has a limit of 1450 FPS, and prohibits even 44 Magnum on the metal plates portion. Even though some .357 is around that FPS, because its ".357 Magnum", a common round, no one really gives it much thought.

It's a pretty relaxed range, I'm usually the only one there at any given time, and I doubt I'd REALLY have an issue, but why take the risk of ******* off management?
Old April 16, 2014, 10:24 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Coonan?
Old April 16, 2014, 10:36 PM   #6
lamarw

I am no expert, but it sounds as though you are mentioning caliber rounds, .357 and 44 magnums, more suitable for revolvers vs. semi-auto's. Hope I am not totally off base with this comment.

Anyway, congrats on your new job and goodbye to unemployment. I always thought if you enjoyed your job they would have you pay them to do it. Work is to put food on the table and money in savings for your retirement years. Then there are the toys we love to live and work for towards our enjoyment of life.
Old April 16, 2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Targa

If I were to buy a DE and I wanted it to be a fun range gun I would go with the .44 mag. I just really like that round.