The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1
hatecrew2006

Well I've got the bug

So I don't even own but one gun, an ML, I don't own any Centrefire rifles,I've caught the reloading bug, I'm on this forum everyday, the pages are falling out of my Lee Book, the pages are curled in my copy of the ABC's of reloading 9th edition.

I already have a press a lyman 450 sizer,a lyman 55 powder measure setup on the same bench I tie flies on and do small workpieces for around my house on It sits next my home brewery another hobby which I will do in the winter when I'm not casting bullets in the backyard, the Midsouth catalog since in the cupboard of my bathroom next to the pot.

Like I said I don't own a centrefire rifle yet, but I'm already looking at dies and a better scale I have the lee safety scale but I've heard mixed reviews on it and I've been using for my blackpowder.

Can anyone give me some good advice on trimmers, i'm looking at the lee trimmer with the drill attachment, until I get into wildcats.

Also can someon recommend a book or forum/website on cartridge converting

thanks

Last edited by hatecrew2006; August 1, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old August 3, 2011, 03:29 AM   #2
dmazur

Lathe type trimmers are OK, but slow.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=315831

Black powder cartridge conversion example

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/remington.html

Wildcatting

http://www.z-hat.com/Wildcat%20Book.htm

(Site shows "Out of stock ... More expected June 2011")

Hope this helps.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

For a first trimmer for rifle cases (you seldom need to trim pistol cases as most don't grow significantly) that is less effort and a bit quicker to use, the C&H variation of the Wilson design is a good bargain. I own the Wilson, but found I needed the Sinclair base with it to get a hold-down for the case holder, while the C&H has one built in for the same price as a Wilson without it. On the other hand, the Sinclair base is nice because it elevates the unit and makes it easy to use a quick clamp to hold it in place. If you want the Wilson without the Sinclair base, they are about $9 less expensive at Bruno Shooters Supply than at Sinclair. These tools square cut, so you need a chamfering and deburring tool for after trimming.

If you are going to do high volume reloading in just one chambering, the Gracey and Giraud trimmers make it really quick not only by being motorized but by handling the trimming, chamfering and deburring all simultaneously. An inbetween tool that mounts in a screwdriver is called the Worlds Fastest Trimmer or WFT, but it makes just a square cut so you still want to chamfer and deburr afterward, or you will at least want to tumble your cases afterward long enough to dull the trimmed edges. Otherwise you will shave a little copper during bullet seating and cast bullets can be shaved heavily.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 3, 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Doodlebugger45

I use a Wilson trimmer for my 7mm mag and my WSM cases. It works pretty well, but you need a different case holder at around $11 each for each "family" of cases. And you even need a separate case holder for a fired case vs a FL sized case, which comes into play if you want to trim neck-sized only cases. It works good though and you get into a rhythm of inserting the case into the holder, trimming, and then tapping the case out of the holder, so it goes reasonably quickly when powered by an electric drill.

I also use a Possum Hollow trimmer for my .243 and .308 cases. It is similar to the World's Fastest Trimmer device. Absolutely slick as a whistle! Very accurate and very fast too. It doesn't care if you use sized or unsized cases either. And if you get the drill adapter - a must have - you can use that to motorize your Wilson of RCBS chamfer tool. Very nice indeed.

If you're going to be doing wildcat cartridges, these might not work though, depending on the case you use. That is just one thing to consider before jumping off into wildcat land. With all the standard cartridges there are these days, there's not a lot of benefits to true wildcatting other than just the fun of tinkering with them.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:36 PM   #5
hatecrew2006

converting cartridges

I guess what I meant by that question was I would like some information on converting brass into standard cartdridges Ie 45-70 into 7.62mmx54R or
22-250 from .223.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:48 AM   #6
Hook686

I chose the Lyman Universal. It can be manual, or connect to a drill/driver for auto operation.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=720825

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Doodlebugger45

Well, I do know for sure that you can't make a 22-250 case out of a .223 case. The base diameters are totally different, not to mention the 22-250 uses a Large Rifle primer and the .223 uses a Small Rifle primer pocket. Making 7.62x54 brass from 45-70 cases? I do not know about that one. It might be possible, but you would have to mill the heads down at least. With the prices I see for 7.62x54 ammo, I don't know why anyone would want to form brass from 45-70 cases.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:47 PM   #8
okiefarmer

I'm with doodlebugger, why would you want to take higher value brass, ie., 22-250 and 45-70 and fab brass that is presently available for about 7 to 8 cents a case in .223 The X54 I wouln't know about brass value, most is berdan and typically not in the reloading stream, except for those that choose to go through that pain.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:50 PM   #9
hatecrew2006

catridge conversion

Thus my reason why i want so called book, I don't know how to do it either, I know how to convert .38 from .223 and have access to a die to do so. guess I'm just expanding my knowledge which isn't bad right?