The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 20, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1
bullbarrel

Mossberg 590 for $199

I stopped in this pawn shop today for a quick looksee, and the only thing that caught my eye from their meager selection was a black shotgun with extended mag tube. I saw the price tag of $199 and I thought it's probably a Maverick 88. If I'm lucky it'll be a Mossberg 500.

Upon looking at the bottom of the receiver, I see the word Mossberg and the numbers 590 and 12 ga.

I couldn't say "I'll take it!" fast enough. I put it on layaway. It was in excellent condition, 20" barrel, heat shield.

Looks just like this.

Old March 20, 2009, 04:15 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

ABSOLUTELY!!! I hope you did a back flip as you said "I'LL TAKE IT"...
Folks... that is a hot price for a real nice condition pump gun! I paid $169.99 for my 500 20 gauge with pistol grip... "campers special" or some such name back then but a "JIC" jist in case in todays lingo... Back in 1989! Hammer the lead down range and let us know how you like the black bugger!
As Dave McC says... BA/UU/R (buy ammo/ use up/ replace) as I say... pretty guns ain't nuttin' SHOW ME THE WEAR MARKS!!!!
Brent
Old March 20, 2009, 11:24 PM   #3
chris in va

Hmmm...either the PS owner isn't aware of the 590 line or something's wrong with it.

I bought a used 500 from GM a while back, it has a light primer strike issue, probably why the PO turned it in to the store.
Old March 21, 2009, 12:14 AM   #4
Sigma 40 Blaster

I hate you. I bought the same model from budsgunshop.com earlier this week for a little over twice that.

I ordered a TacStar rear and forend pistol grip, slapped 'em on and took it out shooting today. It handled 25 rounds of #7 shot, 5 000 buck, and 5 slugs like a champ. IN VERY fast order too, that heat shield works wonders.

I will admit that when I first got it the action was very rough, during the disassembly process to change out the forend I cleaned all the grease and replaced it with CLP. Completely different gun, very smooth action and awesome high cap shotgun.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:35 AM   #5
SMITH910

Wow, what a deal. I just shot my buddies 590 on Saturday - looks just like that one. I'm ordering a Maverick 88 security 8 shot tonight. They don't even know how long the backorder is on it. It might be summer by the time it arrives! I'm jealous.

Good buy.
Old March 23, 2009, 10:49 AM   #6
MagnumWill

Eeek! be careful, though. Did you look over it real well? With luck he had no idea what it was, and just figured it was an old black shotgun. Worse, some amateur gunsmith could have buggered something up on it and decided to ditch it since it was NOW unsafe to fire, or something. Well, hopefully it's not the latter and you got a sweet deal. I paid $349 for mine. Think I'm gonna throw another $350 at it and have it converted to an A1 and ceramacoated.
Old March 23, 2009, 11:42 AM   #7
scorpion_tyr

That's a REALLY great deal, especially in these days! Be very careful, if the people who work there know anything about guns, there's probably something wrong with it. That something can hopefully be easily fixed and probably cheaper than buying a new one.

I hope it works great for you! I knew I should have bought one back in 2002 when they were just a little over $200.
Old March 23, 2009, 06:06 PM   #8
bullbarrel

It was a small pawnshop that didn't have too many guns - no handguns and a few long guns on the rack.

I think the manager of the store is a woman (i.e. the person I said "I'll take it" to). Not to say women don't know much about guns, but in this case I'll bet that's the situation. (Guns are icky! Let's just get them out of my sight, shall we?)
Old March 23, 2009, 06:55 PM   #9
4INCHSMITH

I wish some stores around here would adopt that "guns are icky" mentality. lol
Old March 23, 2009, 09:35 PM   #10
bullbarrel

3 more payments and it's all mine:

Last edited by bullbarrel; March 23, 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:44 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

When you get it I suggest a field strip (not to include tearing into the trigger group) and inspection. Video on you tube will help a ton... Reassemble and test it out. I can't understand a pawn shop in Houston Tx. Not knowing the value let alone a C.A.Pawn. Only excuse for the low price if gun is fine (dangerous to sell a bad gun BTW) is if they stopped at the first mossberg pump gun in the book which would have been a 500A with long barrel retailing at 250+/- so they would have thought the $199 is a great asking price.
Brent
Old April 13, 2009, 07:46 PM   #12
bullbarrel

This is incredible. I just found another Mossberg 590 for $200 in a Houston pawn shop.

I was looking for an audio Bible on CD at this Christian bookstore, but the prices they had were too high - $79! Anyway, I wandered into the pawn shop next door to see what they had - I was pretty doubtful I'd find anything since they marked their prices up real high on old guns. I found a Mossberg 590 on the rack. I asked them how much. They said $219. I asked will you take $200 out the door? They said, uh...okay.

So, I bought it. The high prices are gone. The pawn shop was bought out by some other folks two weeks ago - and they said they were willing to deal on merchandise. They thought the old owners marked the guns up too high. Do these guys not know how much the Mossberg 590 is worth?

Meanwhile, the first 590 for $199 is still in layaway. Do these guys not know how much the Mossberg 590 is worth?

Old April 13, 2009, 09:34 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

You don;t need 2. Send me one.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:40 PM   #14
one2gofst

If it works OK, I'll give you $250 and pay shipping, lol.

Seriously
Old April 13, 2009, 10:23 PM   #15
bullbarrel

Quote:
You don;t need 2. Send me one.

Two is one. One is none.