The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2005, 06:40 PM   #1
kwr76

reloading 45-70

im trying to reload 45-70. the crimp on these cartriges is confuseing it is in the middle of the case.can you adjust the crimp by screwing the die in further and where should i start the die in relation with the shell holder. i have lyman dies that didnt come with directions.
Old February 24, 2005, 06:50 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

You Are Confusing Two Different Things Here, Sir.

The cannalure you see in the middle of the case was usually put there for indentfication, or in some cases to keep bullets from receding into the case.
Your seating die has a crimp shoulder built into the upper part of the die. You can see it and feel it in there. It is used to turn the mouth of the case into a crimp ring in a bullet. This done after the bullet is seated, or if you adjust the die carefully seating and crimping can be done simultaneously.
It works best for the new fellas to get the feel of seating the bullets first then backing off the seating punch to the top of the die and slowly screwing the die down until it turns the case mouth into the bullet's cannalure. DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY WITH CRIMPING NOW---TURN IT IN GENTLY AND STOP.
You may ignore the cannalure you see in the middle of the case.
Old February 25, 2005, 12:17 AM   #3
cheygriz

The best advice I can give, is buy a copy of the Lyman reloading manual and read it. It will answer all of your questions. Many other manuals are excellent also, but in my experience the Lyman manual is by far the best manual for the beginning reloader.
Old February 25, 2005, 08:10 AM   #4
MADISON

Crimping a 45-70

Set up a "dummy" round [no powder, no primer].
Remove the decapping stim from yoour sizing die.
If the round has 2 canalures, start with the longest one and see if the round will fit the chamber. If not, go with the short one.
Re-adjust the sizing die to size the case around the bullet.
Old February 25, 2005, 06:29 PM   #5
flashhole

kwr76

Take a look at this link.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/49

Adjusting the dies is a very straight forward process. My first recommendation is to get on the internet and see if you can find the directions and print them out.

The FL size die should be adjusted to just kiss the shell holder when the ram is in the up position (pull the lever down on your press).

The expander die adjustment will be somewhat dependent on the type of bullet you use, my rule of thumb is to expand the case neck approximately 1/2 the bullet seating depth. This will allow the bullet to seat easily and retain tension on the bullet when it's pushed past the expanded region further into the case.

The bullet seating die adjustment will be highly dependent on the type and length of bullet used. It's an iterative process, seat it part way, take it out and measure it, seat it a little deeper, take it out and measure it , repeat until you hit the appropriate COL (cartridge overall length) as identified in the reloading manual.

I like to use a separate crimp die and I favor the Redding Taper Crimp Die for the 45-70. The Lee Factory Crimp Die is a good choice too. If you use the bullet seat die to crimp you really have to pay attention to the adjustment as you can overcrimp easily and buckle the case. Once you get the bullet seat depth correct you back off the seater spindle so it no longer comes in contact with the bullet. You then turn the die into the press a small amount at a time (say 1/8 turn or less) and cycle the round into and out of the die until you have the desired crimp. Then, with the round inserted fully into the die, readjust the seater stem down to come in contact with the bullet. You are now properly adjusted to seat and crimp in the same step.

Hope this helps.

Are you ready for civil war?