The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Puppage

Sporting Clay Advise

I have a friend who wants me to go SC with him. I need a new shot gun, as my Benelli Super isn't the right way to go. I have always wanted a Ruger Red Label and have also looked into the Remington Premier. My question, which is the best way to go? What barrel length is best? I am 6-4 if that matters.
Thanks!
Old April 10, 2009, 08:51 AM   #2
the rifleer

I bought a mossberg 500 a few weeks ago specifically for clays. it works just fine. I dont know how it would work for competitions, but it works great for just going out and having fun.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Puppage

Thanks. I think I'd like to go with an O/U
Old April 10, 2009, 09:29 AM   #4
RetiredLawman

Why not use what you have on hand until you determine if you like SC. You would probably do better with a gun that you are used to.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Puppage

I have been before and really like it. It's definately something I'd like to do on a regular basis.
Old April 10, 2009, 09:44 AM   #6
zippy13

I'm with RetiredLawman, your Benelli is going to work a lot better than the rifleer's Mossberg 500 for your introduction to SCs. After you've decided that you like SCs, then you can try out a variety of guns to see what's best for you. I can almost guarantee that you opinion of the Red Label and Premier will change as you gain experience with SCs.
Old April 10, 2009, 11:27 AM   #7
capt. jas.

If you really want an O/U, I would not go with either gun you mentioned. The cheaper O/U's most frequently found on the clays course are Browning and Beretta. I would go with one of those with preference to the Beretta. If the prices for either brand are too high I would suggest buying a nice used gun of either brand.
Old April 10, 2009, 11:39 AM   #8
BigJimP

Not to be rude, but there isn't a Benelli "super" - there is a "super sport", "super nova", "super black eagle" .... and it might help to know which Benelli you're talking about.

But I'm with Zippy and others saying stay with the gun you know right now.

It varies a little by regions of the country - but its probably fair to say that O/U's do dominate the sporting clays field. I think in general - or at least in my area - 30" barrels on O/U's dominate / but there are a few 32" and a few 28". More and more shooters are also going to O/U's with Monte Carlo combs - with adjustable comb inserts - to get their point of impact adjusted properly.

Neither the Ruger Red Label or the Reminton will meet those requirements. But that doesn't mean one of these guns won't fit you / and provide you some good shooting. In my area, Browning and Beretta O/U's dominate - and a common model is the Browning XS Skeet O/U with adj comb. In semi-autos there are probably more Beretta 390's and 391's / but personally I like the Benelli SuperSport 12ga in 30".

I'm 6'4" and about 290 lbs - and an O/U with 30" barrels feels really solid and smooth in my hands ( and "our" size does make a difference ) - but you might like 32" barrels. Personally, the 32" barrels on Trap are fine (because there is less left to right movement on birds). Hunting, Sporting Clays and Skeet - with quicker targets and more left to right - my primary guns are the Browning XS Skeet O/U's with 30" barrels in 12, 20, 28ga and .410 . Its not an inexpensive gun - but its a gun that will give you 100,000 plus targets with no issues either - and there are some around used, especially in 12ga. The XS Skeet model is a very solid gun / Browning also makes an XS Special with a Monte Carlo comb / the Browning XT is a very high rib gun and heavier - and a gun like for Trap but not hunting or for sporting clays ( all these guns are part of the Citori line of guns from Browning -with maybe 30 models ). The Citori Lightning is comparable to the Ruger - but its a "field comb" - and not your best option in my opinion.

Last edited by BigJimP; April 10, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old April 10, 2009, 06:00 PM   #9
RUT

>>as my Benelli Super isn't the right way to go.<<

If it is in fact a Super Sport, it will most certainly do the job!!
Old April 13, 2009, 10:33 AM   #10
Waterengineer

My advice for SC's is to work hard on right>>>>left crossers and bouncing bunnies.........or is that just me?

IF the gun you own is a Super Sport or a Sport II those are stupendously great SC guns, especially if you have the longer barrel.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:14 PM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
My advice for SC's is to work hard on right>>>>left crossers and bouncing bunnies.........or is that just me?
Bouncing bunnies are easy - they're moving so slowly.........now a 60 yard fast dropping battue on the other hand..........
Old April 13, 2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Waterengineer

Oneounce says:

"now a 60 yard fast dropping battue on the other hand.........."

Ya, that's a good tough one too.