The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
abber

My buddy asked...

Hey guys, not trying to start a squabble here, but wanted some objective opinions. Personal experiences preferred....

That said, is Bersa any good? I have never so much as handled one, let alone shot or maintained one. My friend was given a recommendation by a local dealer, and wants my opinion. I can't give him an informed opinion, but you guys can. He wants a pistol for his wife, and was told the Bersa 380 would be a good choice.

My first thought was that an LC9 would be a better choice, at least caliber-wise. Anyway, as a broader question, what would you be the most likely to trust your life to in a compact, semiauto, small caliber, low priced, ladies gun? I use the term in reverence to all....Please don't barbecue me....
Old October 12, 2012, 11:56 AM   #2
bspillman

Bersa is probably the best kept secret in handguns imho. I have a thunder 380 model that has thousands of rounds through it. the only problem I have ever had was a mag spring wore out on me. I called bersa they sent me a new spring and extra mag. All I had to pay was shipping.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3
RBid

All manufacturers occasionally have bad samples. In general, the Bersa Thunder 380 is a great choice for someone with small hands, or for anyone who wants a .380, for that matter.

Big plus:
DA/SA trigger, as opposed to DAO (LCP, P380, etc). Simply put, SA is better for actually hitting, once you have to use the thing.

If your buddy and his lady had wandered into the store I work at, I'd have probably made the same suggestion.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4
pilpens

Depends on the wife.
Bersa maybe a good pistol. Specific gun feature may or may not fit the user.
For instance, if the wife does not plan to shoot often, then it may be better to get a straight DAO pistol with less external controls than a DA/SA with safety/decocker. In this case, simpler is better.
Really need to know more about how the gun will be used to find the best fit for the user.
Keep in mind proper trigger reach and that SA/DA is almost always a compromise when it comes to trigger reach.
===
Also, 9mm is cheaper than 380.
===
I like the Kahr for CC. My GF likes it a lot - she has a used Kahr K9.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
hoytinak

I've owned a Bersa Thunder for years and have never had a problem with it. IMO Bersa's are very under-rated. I trust mine so much, it's on permant "loan" to my sister....if I didn't trust it, she wouldn't have it.

I've got a buddy who recently bought Bersas newer 9mm, between us we've put 1000rds through it so far and I was impressed with it as well.

That said: I now carry a LC9 as my CCW only a cause I cut my handguns calibers down to strictly .22lr & 9mm....but I carried that thunder for years before that.
Old October 12, 2012, 01:04 PM   #6
CWKahrFan

A fair number of Argentine military and police agencies are equipped with Bersas... That says a lot.
Old October 12, 2012, 03:46 PM   #7
TheSmilingSwordsman

The Bersa Thunder 380 is my wife's CCW. It fits her hand, she shoots it well and it has been rock solid reliable from day one. If I didn't trust it, my wife wouldn't carry it.
Old October 12, 2012, 04:12 PM   #8
aarondhgraham

I am very pleased with mine,,,

I am very pleased with mine,,,
It performs well with any ammo I feed her.

I've had it almost two years now,,,
Haven't had any problems with it yet.

Consider the Thunder 22 as well,,,
It's a great low cost trainer for the .380.

I recommend the Bersa's without reservation.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 12, 2012, 05:04 PM   #9
schnarrgj

Have 2 Bersa thunder 380s, the 9mmUC and the 45UC. Right now my wife is carrying her 380 and I have mine on my hip. With the 380s, we have a few thousand rounds through each of them. The only problems were my wife limp wristing it at first. She has a lot of rounds downrange since with no issues at all. With mine, some idiot (me) adjusted the rear sight and didn't tighten the screw. After the rear sight blade fell off, I called the warrentee center told them what I did and 4 days later had a new rear sight at NO cost.

Both the 9 and the 45 have been flawless. So what is no to like.
Old October 12, 2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Skadoosh

The two that I had were junk. Both pistols (Thunders) broke with less than 1,000 rounds through them...the hammer broke on one and the trigger on the other. When the parts were examined, the parts looked to be made of pot metal. I will never own another. Not a gun to be trusted to last.
Old October 12, 2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Pahoo

aarondhgraham + 1

Quote:
Consider the Thunder 22 as well,,,
It's a great low cost trainer for the .380.
Good call on that and after she steps up to the .380 and it's likely that she decides to come back to the .22, not one thing wrong with that. ....

I started my wife on the .22 and she refuses to put it back in the safe. Might add that she can shoot it better than I can shoot the .380. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 12, 2012, 06:51 PM   #12
Pukindog12

My cold weather EDC is a Bersa Thunder 9UC Pro. I trust it implicitly.

I'm looking for another or a Bersa Thunder 9HC Pro. Bersa makes great guns.