The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
bossman

Trimming pistol cases?

Do I need to trim 38/357 or 45 colt brass for reloads, or is the trim cases for rifle loads? I use them in pistols only but see in the manuals most say after case has been trimmed then proceed with the reloading.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old January 28, 2011, 09:27 AM   #2
Walkalong

I trim all my revolver cases to ensure a more uniform crimp. Some folks don't, but it is critical if you want good uniform crimps.

If you have a batch of all new cases from the same maker, and they are uniform in length, you can set your die up to match that length and be OK, but the brass is going to stretch and need trimming or readjustment of the crimp die to get the same crimp time after time.
Old January 28, 2011, 10:38 AM   #3
reloader28

Exactly as Walkalong said.
Most people dont trim them, but I do for consistant length.
With flaring and crimping it really makes a difference in my loads.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:57 PM   #4
dlb435

I've never had to. I do spot check my pistol brass and haven't found a long case yet.
Old January 28, 2011, 02:34 PM   #5
454PB

There's really two things to consider, maximum case length and UNIFORM case length. For consistent results, they all need to be the same length. For safety, they all need to be under maximum length.

I usually buy handgun brass in lots of 500. They vary wildly in case length, because they are pressure formed during manufacture, no machined. Don't count on new brass being uniform, but you can usually count on it being under (considerably) maximum length.

Even very high pressure rounds (like .454 Casull) stretch very little over 5 or 10 loadings because of the straight case walls.
Old January 28, 2011, 03:05 PM   #6
BigJimP

I don't trim any handgun calibers ....even though I shoot .357 mag in a lever action rifle / and a variety of revolvers.... Its never been an issue.
Old January 28, 2011, 04:04 PM   #7
YARDDOG(1)

"[I don't trim any handgun calibers ....even though I shoot .357 mag in a lever action rifle / and a variety of revolvers.... Its never been an issue]"

^^^^^^^^^Agree 100%^^^^^^^^^^^ works great, when they start to split I dump the batch ; )
Y/D
Old January 28, 2011, 04:18 PM   #8
temmi

I too trim all my handgun cases to ensure a uniform crimp.

AND

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die
Old January 28, 2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Gerry

That's 5 random samples of range .45 ACP PMC brass I bought used, and I've loaded them once already. If they're really first fired brass when I bought them, this will be their 3rd reload. I continue to reload them until the primers don't stay, or they show signs of splitting at the case mouth (very very rare).

I've never seen any get close to .898 before other obvious problems happen. I've never trimmed .45 ACP cases. And obviously my needs with these aren't precision bench shooting, so if a .002 spread later appears in a batch it's really not a big deal with that caliber.

Others might disagree
Old January 28, 2011, 05:26 PM   #10
buck460XVR

Quote:
Exactly as Walkalong said.
Most people dont trim them, but I do for consistant length.
With flaring and crimping it really makes a difference in my loads

Same here. Again, this is for revolver loads using a roll crimp into a cannelured bullet. Especially when using powders like H110/W296 that benefit from a consistent crimp. For taper crimped pistol rounds I don't.
Old January 28, 2011, 05:28 PM   #11
FALPhil

Quote:
I've never had to. I do spot check my pistol brass and haven't found a long case yet.
I doubt you ever will. Straight wall pistol cases actually shorten after multiple reloadings. I thought everyone knew this...
Old January 28, 2011, 07:35 PM   #12
peter_s

temmi - I believe you are trying to start something here...

Actually there are probably a number of people that trim and use the FCD but don't admit it anymore after being told it's "unnecessary" and (in the case of the FCD) just covering up poor reloading techniques.

I guess I have too much time on my hands because I also clean my primer pockets.