The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 26, 2010, 07:55 PM   #1
brotus2

What do you shoot Skeet with?

I shoot with my 1936 Winchester Model 97. It's a beautiful old beater that I have shot probably 300 flights with. Have a drawer full of 25 patches but only three 50 patches. That next to the last bird is my bane.

Not to be snooty, but it sure is fun to go out with this old pump and my pockets loaded with number 9's and outshoot the guys with there $5,000.00 shotguns and a $1,000.00 worth of shooting clothes on.

They all want to see old "Winnie."
Old January 26, 2010, 08:00 PM   #2
grubbylabs

I guess I am different than some I shoot with family, friends, and my Nova pump, just got a sears Roebuck auto loader that I can't wait to sling some lead with though.
Old January 26, 2010, 08:12 PM   #3
oneounceload

On those rare occasions when I shoot skeet, I use my sporting O/U - works fine
Old January 26, 2010, 08:15 PM   #4
DanimalFL

I'm an Outlaw too.

I often shoot trap with my Remington 1100 and it drives those crotchety old men with their fancy over/unders crazy. After each round I have to scurry around and pick up the shells that my autoloader threw all over the place.
And they make me load one shell at a time like them "for saftey reasons"
which is bull crap their just jealous I can shoot the whole round with out reloading.
Old January 26, 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
which is bull crap their just jealous I can shoot the whole round with out reloading.
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,hmmmmm it IS a safety reason, and why, in International shooting the Beretta UGB Excel came about.

The 1100 took over after the 870.they have been replaced by better guns. If you can't bide by the safety rules, then you don't need to be there - your backyard range will be fine
Old January 26, 2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

I dust of my Remington 870 Special Field, to have a go at the fields. One advantage of skeet shooting, "besides the obvious of not having to deal with registered TRAP shooters " is that no one has come up with a good way to cook those pesky orange disks. It means ALL trigger time, and NO extra work! Alas, if Quail were so easy.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old January 26, 2010, 08:57 PM   #7
zippy13

When I do Skeet, it's with one of my old P-guns: a Mirage 28", a MX(SC)-3 28", or an MX-8 with 30" barrels all have Briley tube sets. There's also a R-1100-Trap with an extra Skeet barrel.

I stopped collecting 25 and 50-straight patches many years ago. I'm following NSSA Hall of Fame shooter Grey Silva's* method. At his home he had a display of 100-straight patches, each attached to a shot-up hat**. He'd used a felt marker to note the event, date and tournament on each patch.
*Grey Silva was the first veteran shooter (age 70+) to shoot a 100-straight in the .410-Bore event. And, he did it the weekend before his 80th birthday. When asked if he was going to do it again at the following weekend's match, he said he'd love to, but he had to look after his mother that weekend.

**For those unaware of the tradition: When a competitor shoots his first 100-straight in a tournament event, he tosses his hat in the air and rest of the squad shoot it full of holes. A raggedy hat is a badge of honor.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:00 PM   #8
mathman

A shotgun

Really, it doesn't matter to me...over/unders are nice, but it doesn't matter.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:02 PM   #9
lambertsteeth

Usually a Benelli Sport II, Often a Winchester 1300, Rarely my o/u(don't like it much, just like to take it out sometimes) Truth is, I don't shoot nearly as much skeet as sporting clays.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:04 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
**For those unaware of the tradition: When a competitor shoots his first 100-straight in a tournament event, he tosses his hat in the air and rest of the squad shoot it full of holes. A raggedy hat is a badge of honor.
Quite an honor to boot.......where I shoot 5-stand, if/when you get your first 25, they do the same thing....have to make sure you have an old hat for those just in case scenarios.................
Old January 26, 2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Maromero

Rem 3200 O/U
Old January 26, 2010, 10:30 PM   #12
the rifleer

i shoot with a stock mossberg 500. it shoots pretty well too.
Old January 26, 2010, 10:30 PM   #13
DanimalFL

First. I do follow their rules !

Second. I think I found one of those pretentious crotchedy old coots that the trap comunity is full of.

Third. It may be a safety rule but it is rediculous, the whole time i'm at a postition my gun is facing down range on safety until your call comes back around. How is it different from the pistol or rifle range OMG people are actually shooting next to you.
Old January 26, 2010, 11:15 PM   #14
grubbylabs

Ya not sure how it is any more unsafe to shoot next to a guy on a firing line while holding am auto loader vs. sitting in a blind with a guy who has an auto loader? Or as you point out in a shooting range where the guy next to you could be shooting who knows what.
Old January 26, 2010, 11:38 PM   #15
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanimalFl
Quote:
I'm an Outlaw too.
I often shoot trap with my Remington 1100 and it drives those crotchety old men with their fancy over/unders crazy. After each round I have to scurry around and pick up the shells that my autoloader threw all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
Quote:
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,hmmmmm it IS a safety reason, and why, in International shooting the Beretta UGB Excel came about.

The 1100 took over after the 870.they have been replaced by better guns. If you can't bide by the safety rules, then you don't need to be there - your backyard range will be fine.
First. I do follow their rules !

Second. I think I found one of those pretentious crotchedy old coots that the trap comunity is full of.

Third. It may be a safety rule but it is rediculous, the whole time i'm at a postition my gun is facing down range on safety until your call comes back around. How is it different from the pistol or rifle range OMG people are actually shooting next to you.
I'm another one of those pretentious crotchety old coots who'd feel a lot safer if you stayed at home. Just because you lack the experience and/or intellect to understand the rules don't scoff them.
"How is it different from the pistol or rifle range OMG people are actually shooting next to you."
In trap singles are you shooting shoulder to shoulder. In other events (like handicap trap) you're at different yardages. The "load one shell at a time, except for doubles" rule apples to all the shogun sports. The more uniform the rules are across the various sports, the safer we all are in the long run.
"First, I do follow their rules"
Oh... really? This thread is What do you shoot Skeet with? and you're talking about shooting trap and annoying other shooters with your antics. You sound more like a troll than an outlaw.

Perhaps you could exhibit a little common courtesy and learn how to use a shell catcher before you shoot again with an auto-loader. You can save yourself the embarrassment of scurrying around harvesting your hulls.
Old January 27, 2010, 12:01 AM   #16
grubbylabs

You don't stand shoulder to shoulder in a duck blind?
Old January 27, 2010, 02:33 AM   #17
Scattergun Bob

DanimalFl

Origonaly I THOUGHT this was a fun little thread about hardware. Oh, how wrong i was.

Look, DanimalFL field games may not be your cup of tea. It's OK there are lots of folks who don't find pleasure in the field sports.

What you need to understand is that there is a DIFFERENCE between unorganized shooting activity (open range time) and organized shooting sport.

Bulls-eye postal matches, CMP hi-power matches, IPSC, NRA Action pistol and so on have specified, printed and reviewed rules of conduct for that activity.

Many folks who choose to attend my action pistol activity are shocked when I MAKE them read 8 pages of rules and responsibilities before I LET them attempt their first TYRO. Some don't come back, (too restrictive).

DanimalFL you wrote
Quote:
I'm an Outlaw too.
It's alright to be an outlaw on your own time, at your own range. Doing so during a organized shooting activity just makes you another butt-head that has to be dealt with.
Perhaps you should try to understand the game FIRST, before you try and stretch the rules.

Good Luck & PLEASE Be Safe

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; January 27, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old January 27, 2010, 10:27 AM   #18
oneounceload

Quote:
I prefer Curmudgeon to coot, and I really don't shoot trap - prefer sporting clays. The rules are there for a reason - safety of ALL in the area. If you're not willing to play the game with this in mind, then please don't - shoot in your yard where you can make the rules. It really IS that simple
Old January 27, 2010, 10:30 AM   #19
cwb

i use my rem 870 12ga
Old January 27, 2010, 10:48 AM   #20
noyes

just markin a spot this could be interestin
Old January 27, 2010, 12:02 PM   #21
BigJimP

My word, I missed a good fight - because I was out shooting Skeet yesterday .....

For Skeet I shoot a Browning Citori O/U, XS Skeet model, 30" barrels - around 8 1/2 lbs - yesterday I happened to be shooting my 20ga version. I did manage one 50 straight yesteday / then a couple of 23's ...but I'll take a 98.

Anyone on my squad / with shells in the mag - let alone in the chamber, even if the gun is open - prior to stepping on the pad to shoot ......will be asked to unload the gun. If the shooter persists in doing that - he or she will be asked to leave the field.

A shotgun is considered loaded, when any portion of a shell ( fired or unfired for that matter ) touches any portion of the gun - and that can only happen on the station pad. A violation of any safety issue on a Trap or Skeet field will not be tolerated at any club I want to be around.

I could care less what gun you shoot / as long as you abide by the safety rules - and show courtesy to the other shooters.
Old January 27, 2010, 12:46 PM   #22
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimP
My word, I missed a good fight - because I was out shooting Skeet yesterday .....

For Skeet I shoot a Browning Citori O/U, XS Skeet model, 30" barrels - around 8 1/2 lbs - yesterday I happened to be shooting my 20ga version. I did manage one 50 straight yesteday / then a couple of 23's ...but I'll take a 98.
Glad to hear you were at the range yesterday, I thought you might be in your hibernation mode. Congratulations on your 20-ga scores. It seems your shoulder surgery is starting to paying off.
Old January 27, 2010, 02:19 PM   #23
BigJimP

Thanks - hard to tell, shoulder is pretty sore today .... The biggest thing is my eyes were better yesterday than normal ...

But I went in the toilet when we shot Doubles at stations 3, 4, and 5 ...I think I only hit 18 out of 25 ....and Dave is still laughing ....
Old January 27, 2010, 02:36 PM   #24
oneounceload

If your shoulder is sore BigJim, you could always get that 10# Kolar and shoot 5/8 oz. skeet loads in 20 with it. That will save your shoulder for sure!
Old January 27, 2010, 04:34 PM   #25
BigJimP

I mis-spoke earlier - I shot a 96, not a 98 ( so much for that fancy Ivy League education ... I can't add obviously ) ...

Actually its not recoil that hurts / although the top of my bicep is not attached like before .... but its the gross weight of the gun, moving it out / up / then back into my shoulder that hurts ..... I need to keep lifting weights / get stronger - especially the lateral muscles accross the top of shoulder, neck and back ......

and lose 20 more lbs ( I'm on my way to a lean, mean, 275 lbs .....) or at least the mean part anyway ....