The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1
kostyanj

What are "normal" prices for components?

Just wanted to get a feel for what some of you guys feel are normal prices (not panic). It's been a while since I've had to buy stuff and some of my stock is running low but I refuse to pay these crazy prices.
For instance I have a price tag on my shotgun primers of 22.99 and 4# of red dot was 52.

What are good prices for components today?
Old May 16, 2013, 10:52 AM   #2
histed

I don't know about the rest of the county - prices vary even in the best of timess - but I'm still getting some powder and the price is between 21 and $25.00 a pound, pretty much as before. There's a limit on primers (200 pre customer per day) but they're under $4.00. AND, on an up note, there's more of everything this week than last! Still not a great selection, but I did find 40gr Speer .224 SP (at 23.00/100). "good" prices in your area may vary.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:54 AM   #3
kostyanj

Re: What are "normal" prices for components?

I'm seeing 9mm 124gr plated bullets for 90-95 shipped per 1k. Is that a decent price? I can't remember what I payed last

Last edited by kostyanj; May 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:14 AM   #4
reload

I mainly order components on-line. I recently received a 9mm 124gr plated order from X-treme bullets at $86/1000, but are now priced at $103/1000.

A few days ago I managed to snag Tula SPP primers for $20/1000 (before hazmat/shipping fees). Other brands are $30+/1000 when you can find them.

Powder varies a lot depending on brand and source. I use HP-38 and my last order was around $20/lb shipped earlier this year.

Are these prices "normal"? Well, they are now . I really don't expect them to go down after the "panic" subsides. Perhaps if supply increases considerably and demand drops off, then prices may drop.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
iShoot17

Many components can still be had for "pre-panic" prices. Just be patient and buy what you need. It is people going in to stores that just got in components and buying 5 years worth of powder. If people buy what they need, and what they will use, then more people will get what they are looking for and be happy. This would hopefully lead to prices coming back down.

I managed to get powder and primers the other day (HP-38 and CCI SP) for regular prices here locally. I paid about $19/lb of powder and somewhere right around $30 for 1000 primers.

As far as bullets go, have you looked into lead casts? I switched to these and haven't looked back for my plinkers. They are cheaper and do what I need. I don't 'need' the plated or FMJs. But those prices seem to be pretty decent for the plated if that is what you are looking for!
Old May 16, 2013, 11:27 AM   #6
kostyanj

I have tried lead casts and yes they are far cheaper but they feel dirty to me. I don't like having a cloud of lead dust around me when I shoot.

I'm still trying to see what plated bullets cost a few years ago. I feel that it was roughly the same?
Old May 16, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Silver00LT

I just acquired a lot of my reloading components within the past week. The prices are on the spreadsheet broken down.
Attached Images
File Type: png reloadingdata.png (23.6 KB, 38 views)
Old May 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #8
iShoot17

kostyanj;

If you are willing to get them another go, I would suggest changing your powder load and finding what works best for you. Also, what firearm are you shooting out of? I haven't had issues with revolvers or semis when it comes to lead.

As far as plated bullets, I don't think that they have changed drastically in the past few years. I know for sure that they certainly have changed as of recently, thus the crazy backorders at certain places!

Silver00LT has shown that prices can still be had pre-gouging. Patience and being willing to try different things is what will help. For example, I tend to stick to only Federal primers, but managed to find a few 1,000 small pistol primers from CCI the other day. They were also in the RCBS strips rather than 'normal' containers. I hand prime, so these strips are useless to me. BUT, I still found small pistol primers for regular prices! So I bought 2,000 and left the others for other people. It will add a few minutes to my loading session because I have to knock the primers from the strips, but this is a hobby and isn't a race for me. In reality, it makes me think I get to spend more time at my bench! Great!

Last edited by iShoot17; May 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:48 AM   #9
kostyanj

I played around with the load a bit when I gave them a go and wasn't really satisfied. I shot them out of a .380 Taurus semi I longer own as well as my Springfield 1911. I never tried out of my Glock but have read many arguments against it.

I just placed an order for 1k 124gr 9mm and 1k 230gr .45 for 95 and 142 respectively. The .45 seems high but I needed it.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:49 AM   #10
iShoot17

I don't shoot Glocks, so I haven't had to worry about the polygonal rifling. Where did you order the plated bullets from?
Old May 16, 2013, 11:57 AM   #11
kostyanj

9mm was from rmr and .45 was from thebulletworks
Old May 16, 2013, 12:43 PM   #12
Constrictor

go look at powder valley website, all the regular prices are there on powder, primers, bullets.