The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 12, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
SQUAREKNOT

Federal primers and 357 mag problem

I primed about 1000 rds of once fired 357 brass with Federal primers (non-magnum) and minimum loads of HS-6 flattens the primers totally.
Are Federal SP primers that soft? I shot the same loads with WSP primers and no problem at all with pressure. Is this normal? of was there a bad batch.
I also have 3000 Small rifle Federals and wonder if they will work in my 5.56 AR
Old May 12, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

Federal small primers tend to be softer than most other primers. I use them when loading for pistols with reduced hammer springs. This prevents them from having light strikes. Some people seem to think they might be a little hotter than some other primers you might purchase.

Winchester primers are a little harder than the Federals are from everything I have seen so far. CCI and Wolf primers seem to be harder then most of the others.

I don't load to max levels so I don't have problems switching from one brand to another except as mentioned.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:57 PM   #3
Crashbox

I shoot Federal primers in .357 Magnum all the time, though they are magnum primers. No real issues. However, I have noticed that some brands of brass will give the *illusion* of flattening because of the chamfer (or lack thereof) around the edge of the primer pocket. Winchesters seem most prone to this effect, Remington-Peters the least; Starline, Federal, PMC- somewhere in-between.

I do not know if the non-magnum primers have a thnner cup than the maggies but if so, the thinner cup could be an issue.

Just my observation, your mileage may vary.
Old May 12, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

I use Federal Magnum primers for .357. They are harder than the standard are by a fair amount. With slower powders the mag primer seems to increase pressures more than faster powders do. As with everything is reloading there seems to be exceptions depending on the type of powders used.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:00 PM   #5
SQUAREKNOT

some brands of brass will give the *illusion* of flattening

No illusion here. There was several different types of brass. I will take a better look tomorrow. One other "funny" effect. The lighter of the two loads I tried seemed to show even more flattening and near piercing of the primers. Weird!
Old May 12, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
arizona98tj

I would agree that Federals are softer. It is the only primer I've ever had go off in my Dillon 650 press....and that was only after the 4th piece of brass was getting primed using them. Prior to that, I had put bricks of CCI and Winchester primers through that press with never an issue.

Federal....never again.
Old May 13, 2013, 09:42 AM   #7
SQUAREKNOT

Federal....never again

I have to agree. Are you aware that Lee Loading says NOT TO USE FEDERAL PRIMERS in their hand auto prime units? The priming mix is so sensitive that if one primer blows you may set the entire batch off.
I am thinking about just knocking the primers out and starting again-BUT
primers are impossible to get now
Old May 13, 2013, 10:01 AM   #8
spacecoast

If anyone has some extra Federal primers they would like to trade for another brand, please PM me. I would really like to find some LPPs. It would need to be FTF (central Fla or NW Pa) to avoid hazmat shipping charges.

Last edited by spacecoast; May 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:25 PM   #9
SQUAREKNOT

NEW INFO

I loaded up the same loads I first tried and used another gun, a GP-100 and the
almost pierced primer thing got considerably better. Its starting to look like a
rough firing pin on the Mod-19 might be at least part to blame.
FWIW if others run into the same problem
Old May 15, 2013, 09:28 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

you safe, brudda

Lighter loads allow the primer to back out against the breechface, further 'flattening' the primer.

Primer appearance is not an ideal 'read'.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Are Federal SP primers that soft? I shot the same loads with WSP primers and no problem at all with pressure. Is this normal?
Yes... yes, they are. Federal primers will flatten, mushroom, crater and pierce in my Glock 33 (357sig) at any and all load levels from 9mm starting loads up to... well, heavy 357sig. CCI primers, no flattening or other issues up to... very heavy.