The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 15, 2024, 12:07 PM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
Make your own Carbon fiber stock. I made one for a CZ 527, it weighed 2 pds 2 oz. I believe I did a write up on it here. I'll have to look.
I read someplace laying your own carbon fiber on a form isn't all that hard--but getting it cure so that it can resist stress fracture from impacts is something else entirely. How has your's held up? I'd be very interested to see your writeup.
Old February 15, 2024, 12:17 PM   #27
wachtelhund1

I was right I did do a write up on making a carbon/kelvar stock. It was fairly easy to do. I was going to paint it black, but left it natural. The carbon cloth was black. The kelvar was yellow/black.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=551845
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9090146 (4).JPG (608.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg P9090148 (2).JPG (668.3 KB, 13 views)
Old February 15, 2024, 12:32 PM   #28
stagpanther

very nice--would be even nicer with pics to illustrate the steps; but I think I get the gist of it.
Old February 15, 2024, 12:44 PM   #29
wachtelhund1

I looked and can not find the photos used in the write up. The stock is the same today as the day I finished it. I sprayed it with duro coat clear to protect the epoxy resin from the UV rays. It has held up well. The rifle is either in my truck or by the back door for shots at coyotes. I started a second one but never finished it. I made the second mold out of liquid silicone. I think I laid up one side panel and the barrel channel. Never did the other panel. Went on to walnut stocks.
Old February 15, 2024, 02:53 PM   #30
stagpanther

Thanks.