The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 15, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
odugrad

Reliability test

I was just wondering if anyone has any tests of their own to determine reliability? A number of rounds? An amount of time?

What qualifies a handgun as reliable in your opinion?
Old April 15, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Mausermolt

i would say a handgun is reliable if it will go 500-1000 rnds without a FTF or FTE between thorough cleanings. my Makarov is still in its testing phase....and ive had it for 3 years

my 1911 is a bit of a beater so it will go about 250-500 without a stovepipe. but i pack my 1911 everywhere (truck, holstered, ect) so its always got dust and hay on it so i dont really blame it for an occasional hiccup.
Old April 15, 2013, 01:22 PM   #3
kahrguy

400 rounds of something affordable and 100 rounds of what HP ammo I hope to carry and do that trouble free with out recleaning. Then its ready to carry.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:18 AM   #4
pat701

500rds for me.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:43 AM   #5
RickB

I expect 1000 rounds between failures, regardless of type. A brand-new gun that fires the first 200 rounds without issue would be good to go, but if there's a malf in the first 200, then I'd want it to go 1000 without issue.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

400 to 500 rounds of anything, and including Hollow Point. Try to Limp Wrist it.
If I get there, I trust it.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Mr_Jumper

500 rds w/o issues would be considered reliable for me.

In all honesty, I feel like when the gun runs right, it runs like butter. While racking the slide, pulling the trigger, just all around like the gun is sliding around in butter....

That's really when I know gun is reliable and will shoot in all conditions.
Old April 18, 2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Amin Parker

Hi Everyone. Constantine its been a while.

Anyways, as for reliability testing, i usually do the following.

I load up ALL the mags i have for that pistol, put up a target and let rip, change mag and repeat until all the mags are empty. Load mags and repeat.

Should i do get a malfunction i will have a careful look at the offending round to see if it is out of spec or the weapon is at fault. I will then keep shooting to see if it happens again which would lead to a full investigation.

I usually do accuracy testing first to determine if the sights are aligned properly, where it prints etc. This will give me a feel for the weapon in during slow fire testing.

20 magazines full of fault free shooting is good enough for me to give the pistol a "reliable enough for self defence" rating.

PS. When it comes to pistols, mark your magazines as they are the first culprits when it comes to malfunctions. Marking them will help you remember the naughty one.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Ben Dover

The joint services performed exhaustive tests before selecting a new service pistol.

The results were published in "The American Rfileman"

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old April 18, 2013, 11:45 AM   #10
TBT

500 rounds of range ammunition.

300-500 Rounds of my carry ammunition choice.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Hi Everyone. Constantine its been a while.

Whoa!!! Look who's back!!!! lol what's happening brother?! If you still have my email, email me. I lost all my contacts.

As for reliability? I run 500 rounds of range ammo. A box or so of my CC ammo of choice.

Do some of you seriously run 500 of your own carry ammo?!

Old April 19, 2013, 12:19 AM   #12
Mosin44az

My break-in is 200 rounds FMJ, if no problems there I will run 100 rounds of chosen defense ammo. It used to be 200 rounds of defense ammo but it costs too much these days....

Any malfs, the test starts over.....although I suppose I am more tolerant of malfs in those guns that are really range toys.
Old April 19, 2013, 12:36 AM   #13
BuckRub

Every kind of stance, handhold, grip possible and about 300 rounds of FMJs and hopefully in there 3-5 different manufactures and mabe 100-200 rds of hollow points again hopefully some different manufactures. With not a single malfunction. If any problem I'm getting it fixed and starting tests over or getting rid of gun- man I love my glock gen 4 22
Old April 19, 2013, 09:25 AM   #14
g.willikers

At least as important as having a good gun, is knowing how to quickly clear the inevitable stoppages, when they do occur.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:41 AM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
At least as important as having a good gun, is knowing how to quickly clear the inevitable stoppages, when they do occur.
I agree..Malfunctions happen. Rather than making sure the gun is 99.9% reliable. Make sure you're 100% reliable to clear malfunctions and continue to engage.
Old April 19, 2013, 12:24 PM   #16
dayman

With a new gun I usually put 200 through it to test it's reliability, and to get use to it. If there are no flaws, I put a box of my carry ammo through it, and if there are no flaws I assume it's good to go.
I have a range at the house, so I tend to shoot frequently but not a lot of rounds in any one session. So, 200 rounds out of a given gun generally takes a couple weeks.

I shoot all my guns fairly regularly, and practice clearing drills. Also, I find cleaning my guns as cathartic as shooting them, so I clean them pretty regularly. So, since any gun I'm carrying going to been fired and cleaned fairly recently, I'm unconcerned with my guns passing any sort of a marathon torture test.
However, I pretty much only buy well-researched, new guns from quality manufactures. IMO 200 rounds is enough to determine if I've gotten a lemon, and 20 rounds should be enough to discover an ammo problem.
If I were buying used, or buying from a hit-or-miss company, I might extend the testing.

If a gun does fail I generally try to identify the source of the problem and fix it. It's never actually happened, but if I couldn't identify the problem I'd probably chalk it up to gremlins, and start over with the 200 rounds.

I don't think there's one right answer though. Just test until you feel comfortable trusting it.
Old April 21, 2013, 04:14 AM   #17
hemiram

I will put a couple hundred through it, usually 50 rounds from 4 different manufacturers, changing my grip to make sure it doesn't "limp wrist"(If it does, and it can't be made not to, usually by changing the recoil spring, it's gone, I had one recently with an aftermarket spring that was much stronger than stock, causing all kinds of problems) and if it's made it that far without issues, I clean it up and figure it's pretty trustworthy. Lately, every one of my guns has passed my test.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:08 AM   #18
thedudeabides

I will have to run whatever carry ammo I shoot, at least 50-100 rounds. Which tends to get expensive because that crap comes on 20 round boxes.

Range guns don't count. Malfunctions aren't a big deal there.