The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 4, 2000, 12:27 AM   #1
chiz45

Hello,

I have just started shooting IDPA this year, and have attended two matches so far. Great fun! I entered the first match with a Springfield 5" 1911, slightly customized, with iron sights. the second match, i used a Kimber Compact CDP. This weekend at the local gunshow, i ran into a HP Practical for $295!! I figure this would make a great gun for these types of competitions. Anyone else use these for IDPA? I also hear that the South African 17 round mags work really well in the MkIII's. I purchased 3, and hopefully they will arrive soon! I pick up the HP tomorrow.

Old December 4, 2000, 10:37 AM   #2
TaxPhd

I shoot IPSC, not IDPA, so take my comments for what they may be worth.

The 17 round South African mags aren't beneficial for IDPA, because of the 10 round limit.

The HP Practical has a barrel weight, doesn't it? If so, I don't think that it would be legal for IDPA.

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old December 4, 2000, 01:55 PM   #3
chiz45

just picked it up, and dissassembled it. It does not appear to have any weights; in fact, I cannot see other than finish what the difference is between a standard model. Mine has fixed sights, and is two tone. And the rubbery, Pachmayr grips.

as for the 17 rounders, I intended that for another thought other than competition. Just wanted to see if others had good/bad experiences with these mags. Word around my friends is that they work well. Thanks for the heads up though! Now I need to find some factory flush fitting mags, 10s or 13s, whatever i can find.
Old December 4, 2000, 11:34 PM   #4
Joe D

The South African mags work fine. They are OK for IDPA use. Load 11 in the first mag and 10 in the second. The only question would be will the gun fit in the box with the longer mags. I don't think that will be a problem though. The springs are very stiff at first. Load them to capacity and let them sit for a week. Problem goes away.
Old December 5, 2000, 12:42 AM   #5
chiz45

Joe,

thanks for the tip! I will be sure to try it out when they arrive. I know the first thing to go in this gun is the mag safety. It is pretty annoying that when the mag release button is pressed, the mag only moves about 1/2".
Old December 5, 2000, 02:46 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

MY SA mags "stick" when unloading them and haven't proved very reliable as yet. I much prefer the performance of my Ram-line 15 shot magazines.

You'll find yourself shooting in the ESP class, and yes that magazine safety is a pain when unloading and showing clear and dropping the hammer.. until you get it pinned you'll have to carry an a empty mag so that you can drop the hammer.

Even the standard 13 shot magazines work for IDPA and they are still cheap. The "practical" model carries better sights and the 2 tone finish and pachmeyer grips, its magazines also had bumper pads.

Cool thing about the hi power.. depending on the holster, many of them will also fit Colt's Gov. Models and clones.
Old December 5, 2000, 03:01 PM   #7
chiz45

Are the SA mags you have the nickel finish, or the regular? I ordered the nickel finish mags, just to avoid the sticking. I hope they don't stick like yours!

Old December 5, 2000, 06:26 PM   #8
Joe D

The sticking is caused by the mag disconnector. Remove it and the mags drop free. Another benefit is improved trigger pull. The hammer spring is way too heavy also. A shortened 1911 hammer spring works well. These two mods usually take a pound or two out of the trigger pull. It is not too difficult to get a 3lb. pull from a BHP with a little work.HTH
Old December 6, 2000, 12:45 PM   #9
TaxPhd

chiz45,

Whoops!

I blew it on the barrel weight thing. I was thinking of a different model (was it the competition model???) that was produced for a short time for IPSC, but didn't really catch on due to minor caliber.

Enjoy your HP!!

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old December 6, 2000, 02:34 PM   #10
chiz45

just took it to the range last night, shot 100 rounds. No jams, no problems. That was a relief!

The first thing this gun needs is to remove that mag safety and to lighten up that trigger a bit. Can this be done with the factory parts, or do they need to be replaced? I was looking at the C&S catalogue, and they show a number of additional replacement parts for reducing the trigger pull. I knew this was going to cost some big money...