The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2013, 01:07 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Glenfield Model 60 Stock repair and Rifle restoration

Hey Ya'll,
I posted a thread looking for parts for this Glenfield mod. 60. Well I bid on a few stocks on ebay only to be out bid. My thing is this. I'm not paying over 70 bucks for a used stock to go on a 100 dollar rifle and not only that a NEW stock is 75 bucks from Brownells. The rifle was given to me by a friend him and his wife had a nasty breakup and she took all his guns and beat them up against a tree and left them in the yard for a week or more, so I told him I wanted the 22. So anyway, I have some stuff laying around the shop and I decided to fix this broken stock. The stock was broke in two right at the grip area. But it was broke in such a way that the pieces fit back together like a puzzle . So I lightly sanded the mating surfaces and applied GORILLA glue and put the two halves back together. and taped it up with duct tape to hold it together until the glue set up. Well as you know gorilla glue is no joke and it expands as it cures to fill in the voids where the two broken pieces went together. I checked it this morning and it is STRONG. There are some places on the sides of the grip area that needed to be filled, and a place at the back of the receiver that needed to be built back up from where the squirrels chewed the stock when it was left in the yard (kinda ironic huh, since the stock has squirrels on it and a rifle that was intended for squirrel hunting ) So I used some wood filler / putty I had laying around its call Durhams water putty, you mix it with water to the consistency that you want. When this stuff cures its like its tough and like a rock like the company says. I'll then sand down the stock and shape it how I want. Then the entire stock will get sanded and painted a light brown or honey color. Then the barrel and mag tube will get sanded and either dura coated or I might cheap out and and find a good semi flat paint to use. Here are a few pics. I will update this as I go along. I think the stock will hold up, there is virtually no recoil in a .22lr of course and I care for my guns and don't beat them around. If it doesn't then I will buy a stock but thats a last resort. Sorry I forgot to take a pic when the stock was in two pieces. And why, yes I did do the putty work on the kitchen counter. I need hot water and SWMBO wasn't home

Old January 24, 2013, 02:23 PM   #2
Scorch

I can tell you how to have a gun like that look brand new for $100 or so.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
deerslayer303

I have alot of the filling and sanding done. I still have to final sand it with some fine paper. The barrel and magazine tube were ORANGE. But I figured I would try. So I wet some OO steel wool with gun oil and went after the barrel and mag. tube. Then I wet OOOO steel wool with gun oil and went mad on the barrel and tube again, and the results are AMAZING, IT CAME BACK I DON"T BELIEVE IT! Marlin must have used some AWESOME blue way back in the early 70's. So All I'm going to do is tape off the barrel and paint the receiver a semi flat black. GOSH this is really working out better than I ever thought it would. The inside of the barrel escaped un harmed from the weather I guess all the fouling that was in there helped in that aspect. I hope these 60's are as good a shooter as they say. I've never shot this one or any model 60 for that matter. Any suggestions let me know. I would like some suggestions on a type of paint (SPRAY) to use on the stock and a shade ya'll think might would look good. Should I PRIME it first? Thanks

Old January 25, 2013, 07:45 AM   #4
guncrank

To paint the stock, I would apply one coat ( I use Duracoat ) on thick.
Allow it to dry and sand it down to reduce whiskering.
It may take two coats , but once smooth it can be applied several coats.

If the original finish is not removed, rough it up and use a tack rag to remove sanding dust.
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old January 25, 2013, 12:19 PM   #5
deerslayer303

Thanks, Well I went after the barrel again with oooo steel wool as I saw a spot that needed some attention. Well off came the blue, so the barrel and tube are going down to bare metal and will be painted and baked
Old January 26, 2013, 10:50 AM   #6
hooligan1

Kind of a cool project but it will never be or look the same as factory, if you hit up Numrich Gun Parts Corporation They'll have that stock probably. just my 2 cents.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Hawg

I tried that Durhams putty once on an old 94 Winchester stock a buddy tried carving on. It didn't hold up.
Old January 26, 2013, 03:17 PM   #8
deerslayer303

Wow, this brown is ugly, I may sand it off and start over. Yeah Hawg, if it doesn't then I'll spring for another stock.

And I couldn't get the barrel out of the receiver so it wouldn't fit in the oven. So here is my REDNECK curing oven . Hey it works and the heat coming out of the top is nice and HOT.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9
deerslayer303

EBAY PARTS

You know people are just plain stupid. Some moron has run the bid up on a few USED screws for this rifle to over 22 bucks. Well the MORON can have them. I found them at numrich for less than 4 dollars. But I will drive the bid up for him some more, my wonderful give to the MORONIC EBAY GUN PARTS BUYERS.
Anyway I have started sanding off that UGLY brown, I'm going to go with a lighter shade of brown. I have to go to Lowes and see what they have in the Krylon department
Old January 27, 2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
But I will drive the bid up for him some more, my wonderful give to the MORONIC EBAY GUN PARTS BUYERS.
Be careful YOU don't get stuck with them.
Old January 27, 2013, 11:44 AM   #11
deerslayer303

I know right! Usually I don't do that (drive the bid up) but that irritated me so dang much. There are quite a few sets of screw on there. But no Mr. bidding war had to drive the bid up on ONE auction. So I dumped em on him at 31 bucks. Enjoy your screws DOUGHNUT HEAD...
Old February 2, 2013, 06:10 PM   #12
deerslayer303

Well here is the finished product. I'm not sure if I like the color of the stock, but it will have to do for now. Because I'm not painting it again, this is the second color I put on it. It looks pretty good to me though, I can see the seams of the putty in some spots but not to bad. Overall I'm happy with it as a plinker. I may spring for a stock one day, but not today . The front trigger guard screw I ordered from brownells, won't fit its too short. They said it would fit a Glenfield Mod. 60 but it won't. So I have the specs on the screw and I'm going to try and find one at the hardware store. Not too bad for a rifle that was in two pieces, and a stock that was chewed up by the squirrels!!

Old February 3, 2013, 09:39 AM   #13
hooligan1

Squirrels will be shakin in their boots now man!! Go get a few for breakfast man.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:30 AM   #14
deerslayer303

Quote:
Squirrels will be shakin in their boots now man!! Go get a few for breakfast man.
Indeed, and how I LOVE me some fried tree rat.