The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 12, 2008, 06:50 AM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Bits and pieces: The quality of a knife's steel oughta let you field dress the deer and get it at least halfway skinned before you notice any degradation of the edge. Ever notice how fast cutting paper takes the edge off a knife? Deer hair is much the same. Javelina is worse. Get the blade under the skin and cut from the inside out, as much as possible. Don't saw through the hair if you can avoid that.

Anyhow, a semi-fine stone for a touch-up oughta let you get the job done.

The Lansky sharpener is a Good Thing, particularly when setting up the angles on blades. I use 30 degrees for a field knife. 20 degrees for fine work.

Ever watch a butcher use a steel on his carving knife? That backing-and-forthing rounds the edge area, which is fine for a while, but the angle gets bigger. You wind up eventurally with a sharp wedge, not a sharp knife. Periodically I go back to the Lansky to re-shape.

My personal opinion is that a lotta folks worry too much about knives. One guy I know, quite often doesn't bother. He hunts where there is a lot of chert. Kill a buck, pop a couple of rocks together--and he has a flint knife. Works good. Sorta awesome to watch. Helps to know what you're doing, of course, but after fifty years...
Old April 12, 2008, 07:35 AM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The gunk in my Buck 110 is no problem. I just wrap a thin/thread bare dish towel on the end of a butter knife and wash it with soapy suds. Once home I give 'er a dunkin' in a bleach and water solution than rinse in hot water one more time. The only food poisoning issues I ever had were from eating restaurant food!:barf:
Brent
Old April 12, 2008, 01:54 PM   #28
Scorch

Quote:
Only thing I hate about folders is getting the gunk out of them after using them.
Quote:
Scalding hot water and a toothpick.
Quote:
An old tooth brush helps a lot.
Do you have to floss your knives when you're done, too?

I used to use 2-bladed folding hunters or SodBusters, but no stainless steel blades. My main knife has always been a 4" fixed blade made from spring steel. You can get almost the same thing by getting a mid-sized caping knife or any small fixed blade knife. Grohmann makes real knives designed and used by professionals, and they use good steel. Queen Cutlery knives are outstanding. If you can find one of the carbon steel Old Timers, they are pretty good.

Quote:
Ever watch a butcher use a steel on his carving knife? That backing-and-forthing rounds the edge area,
Actually, it straightens the edge and work hardens it. And yes, it will have to be resharpened, but a lot less than you would think. Butchers, meat cutters, and slaughterhouse workers keep their knives razor sharp with a steel, and they work all day long with the same blade.
Old April 12, 2008, 02:30 PM   #29
ZeroJunk

Here is an Old Timer that I bought from Shorty the Jew about 40 years ago for $12. I have skinned a bunch of deer with it. I am as bad as anybody about getting carried away with their toys, just pointing out that you don't really have to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0292.JPG (128.5 KB, 31 views)
Old April 12, 2008, 03:45 PM   #30
BrunoNorway

You will need a good allaround knife that is both sharp and havy, and even to hunt with, if it comes to that...
this is a Native-Norwegian knife.
It is specialy developed for the Norwegian Costal Rangers and it is also used for CQ self-defence.
It is perfect for meat...

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old April 12, 2008, 05:39 PM   #31
elkman06

Straight from Cabelas' website although the pic didn't come through. This kit is pretty much the bee's knees. A friend of mine has it and I plan to buy one. Has a standard fixed knife, caping knife, and compact saw in one well made scabbard. I don't think you would be unhappy.Look it up!
elkman06

Outdoor Edge Kodi Skinner and Kodi-Pak
The complete system for field dressing, skinning, caping and quartering of big game animals. These precision knives includes a deep-bellied skinning knife with a 4-1/2" blade and gut hook, a caping knife with a 2-1/2" blade and a 6" T-handle diamond-cut saw. Each has non-slip Kraton® handles and shaving-sharp chrome-moly 8A stainless steel blades for excellent edge retention and performance. All fit into a full-grain leather belt sheath. The Kodi Skinner and Kodi Caper also are available separately.

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old April 12, 2008, 07:03 PM   #32
armedandsafe

I carried a Western or Case clip point, 5 1/2" hump back until I saved enough money to get what I wanted. I modified one of Bo's early designs and he made me this in the early 60s. I've been told it was the last custom he made by himself. Dunno about that, but I've used this one for everything since then and love it.

Four inch blade, swept belly, straight back edge, radiused (sharpened) point, hump back, left-handed. I've done everything from Crappie to PolarBear with it.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old April 18, 2008, 12:24 PM   #33
oneounceload

Check out the knives at A.G.Russell - he has a lot of info on blade steel, etc...440 will hold an OK edge, but is much easier to resharpen than a long-edge holding steel like A2 or D2 or ATS34 - so there is a tradeoff to consider....make sure you get a good sharpener to resharpen it in the field - get one that won't mess up the blade angle.

I have many folders, use a small lockback pocket for fine trimming, but prefer an old US-made Schrade fixed blade about 3-3-1/2" long - easier to clean
Old April 18, 2008, 02:01 PM   #34
jimbob86

Quote:
Only thing I hate about folders is getting the gunk out of them after using them.

Anyone have any tricks for this?
Yep. Use a fixed blade knife.
Old April 18, 2008, 02:56 PM   #35
jimbob86

I doesn't have to cost a fortune. I have made several knives as gifts, out of sawblades and files. My skinning knife is home-made. My Daughter's knife and hatchet are home-made (4-H project). My own hunting knife was found in a drawer at my grandparents house- I used it to scrape paint ther as a kid. It is hard to sharpen, but holds an edge really well. I'm sure it has been used to gut more deer than I have ever seen.

What do you NEED? IMHO, all you really need is a straight bladed knife with a sturdy enough blade to be driven through the seam in the pelvic bone (Note: this seam fuses on older bucks, and a hatchet becomes a nice thing to have..... ) of a deer. It has to hold an edge long enough to field dress the deer. Stopping to sharpen your blade when you are up to your elbows in blood in freezing temps is not a good thing! That said, it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to field dress a deer...The blade does not need to be longer than 4 inches. Big "Bowie" knives are awkward to use inside the body cavity.

Other than your hunting knife, a hatchet is nice to have, as is a skinning knife, if you plan on skinning your own deer. A good butcher/boning knife and steel is necessary if you plan on doing your own processing, as is a large hacksaw (I use a fine toothed blade on my Sawsall, as Power Tools Rule!).
Old April 19, 2008, 09:58 AM   #36
Hawg

I'm gonna go against the norm(don't I always)and say I prefer a plain old carbon steel blade. Dulls faster but sharpens back up in a jiffy. I can usually go through a whole deer before it needs sharpening again.