The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 14, 2001, 03:00 PM   #1
XXSUPO

i shot the gun i "planned" on hunting tukey w/ this season. its a weatherby centurion i guess its full choked because its a ducks unlimited gun and i would figure you'd shoot duck w/ a full choke. inyways when shooting 3" #4 and #6 from 2 oz. to 1 3/4 oz from a distance of 40 yards i am only getting 5-7 pellets in the neck head of the target. is this normal?
i am thinking of just buying a 10ga single BBL.
Old March 14, 2001, 05:52 PM   #2
DFBonnett

Actually, that sounds pretty good.Forty yards is a fairly long distance for turkeys. I generally try not to exceed 30 and I use a Remchoke extra-full turkey tube .
YMMV
Old March 14, 2001, 08:38 PM   #3
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Pattern different loads. Sometimes it takes a few to see what your gun likes (sound familiar?).

I'm shooting a Rem 870 Express Turkey-thing with the 21" bbl & extra-full choke.

I've tried duplex, etc. (various sizes), 1 17/8 oz #4 Win & a buncha others (all patterned at an honest 40 yds) & have settled (for this shooter combo) on the Federal Premium
2 oz of #4s. I get 21 lethal head/neck hits consistantly - seriously. Heard that some shotguns like the 2 3/4" shells better. It's not so much of the shot payload or how fast it goes but the pattern & what delivers to the target.

Got a coupla boxes of Active Penetrators = 2 1/4 oz of #4s that I've not yet tried out.

Old March 14, 2001, 09:48 PM   #4
XXSUPO

i tried 3 different loads and cannot tell and difference, i think i need to get a bigger sheet of paper and see if the shotgun is throwing low. the ony time i'v used it hunting was w/ #1 BS on a small buck. the hit was real low and nearly took off both front legs. my father used it once duck hunting and seeing as its a duck unlimited version i think that may be what its set up for(#7 &#8+). maybe it just throws heavier shot low for some reason.
Old March 15, 2001, 12:14 AM   #5
Arizona Fusilier

I think a half-dozen pellets in the head-neck region is the "school" solution when it comes to bringing them down. I wouldn't mess with it anymore; go with what you got.
Old March 15, 2001, 11:40 AM   #6
Poodleshooter

Quote:
Got a coupla boxes of Active Penetrators = 2 1/4 oz of #4s that I've not yet tried out.
They are the poop! I've hoarded a box of them for turkey hunting! Patterns are excellent with the massive shot load.
Somebody mentioned duplex loads. One thing that kinda sucks about them is that in theory the shot string should be longer. This may not matter as much on turkeys, but anything with motion to it will not receive all of that pattern you see on paper at once (smaller pellet's velocity should fall off a little faster, stretching out the pattern). I've just moved to #5's (or #4's for long distance).

Old March 15, 2001, 02:49 PM   #7
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Thing about the Duplex loads I was wondering about is with say the 2X6s, how many 2s & how many 6s do ya get? Never saw anything about shot size distribution.

I figured about 272 #4 pellets in the 2oz load IIRC & just haven't gotten around to the Penetrators w/the Feds doing so well. Got 2 10X boxes stashed. Cabella's had 'em last I was up there.

I do like the heavier shot = much better energy for longer shots & with the patterning I get =

First turkies I called in using the Fed load came to within 8 feet & I just couldn't .... waited till they moved off to about 25 yds & it really wouldn't have mattered what load I was using.

2 oz of #4 is hell on distant crows.