The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2012, 02:36 AM   #1
mohr308

Lee Perfect powder measure

So I pulled out my Lee ppm measure today so I could load a bunch of rounds. I loaded it with H335 and had that nice leakage that I'm not used to. Every throw was dead on, but I'm not happy with the few grains of powder that sneaks out every pull. I read the manual and it stated I could snug up the screw a little but not past 4 lb. of pull. Even with it tightened, it still would leak. Does anyone have any ideas on this fun situation or am I just stuck with it?
Old September 11, 2012, 05:38 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

The fine grained powders don't work well through my Lee "Perfect" set up so I only use it for the stick powders. It is far from perfect. I thought I had upgraded lately when I bought a Hornady automatic measure, the one with the electric motor, and it is so slow I can hand measure on a scale at a 4 to 1 ratio even on the fast setting. It is almost depressing how much re-loading stuff one buys over the years that is almost useless.
Old September 11, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Gster

Mine leaks with titegroup powder. I just set the cover of one of my Lee die sets in under it with a calibration wt. and it will catch almost every flake.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:17 AM   #4
jimkim

I own a PPM, LAD, RCBS Uniflow, and Hornady LNL. With ball powders they are pretty much even. The PPM is the most consistent measure I own, with flake and extruded powders. You can tighten the screw and the leaking should either cease, or become tolerable.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...uct/AP1704.pdf

http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...easure-leakage

Last edited by jimkim; September 13, 2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old September 11, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

Mine leaks a tiny little bit. I put a sheet of paper under it. I once weighed the powder after 150 rounds with Bull's Eye. The total was less than 2 grains on the paper. If you do not like the leaking then you are more likely than not going to have to buy another measure. Be ready to spend even the cheaper ones are still not all that cheap. (At least not for a poor working janitor like me.)
Old September 11, 2012, 07:33 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

It will leak.
If you complain enough, Lee will replace it with another one that will leak.
Or, you can choose not to use it.
That's about it.

Quote:
I thought I had upgraded lately when I bought a Hornady automatic measure, the one with the electric motor, and it is so slow I can hand measure on a scale at a 4 to 1 ratio even on the fast setting. It is almost depressing how much re-loading stuff one buys over the years that is almost useless.
Toss a scoop of powder in the pan while it's charging, to help it get to the desired weight faster.
Old September 12, 2012, 03:34 PM   #7
noylj

You have a very good measure.
Read the instructions (with Lee, if they make a suggestion, consider it a command--they don't waste time on instructions and you need to read what they supply very carefully) and consider what you are doing.
Unless you take the measure apart and clean it out, tightening the tension only tightens the two cone-shaped sections into all the powder kernels. This is NOT the way to get the two components to burnish themselves together.
I know this is hard to put up with, but the conical section MUST burnish themselves together and the leakage is NOT affecting anything.
1) Clean out press
2) Reassemble and put a piece of paper under the measure to catch any leakage
3) Throw at least one hopper full of graphitized powder through the measure to attempt to coat the parts with graphite--some powdered graphite can also be used.
4) Disassemble measure and remove any kernels of powder. Return any leakage to the powder can or toss out.
5) Reassemble and tighten tension before adding any powder
6) Fill with H322 and start to throw your charges
7) IGNORE any powder leakage. It isn't hurting anything and the paper is catching it so you aren't losing it.
8) When done, disassemble and clean out any kernels.
9) If you can control you irritation, after a while the conical sections will burnish together and you will only have leakage with very very fine powders--just like many other measures
10) Enjoy the fact that powder throws are so consistent from such an inexpensive measure and stop worrying about aesthetics.
Never force anything when reloading, and that includes adjusting tension on this powder measure when powder kernels are trapped between the tensioning parts.
Old September 12, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
noylj

Quote: "I thought I had upgraded lately when I bought a Hornady automatic measure, the one with the electric motor, and it is so slow I can hand measure on a scale at a 4 to 1 ratio even on the fast setting. It is almost depressing how much re-loading stuff one buys over the years that is almost useless."
1) Customer Service is your friend--call them. ALL the companies in the shooting industry have great customer service (minus the rare dummy that might answer occasionally).
2) Both the Hornady and the RCBS can be programmed. Both, as received, are more than fast enough for almost every user.
So, if your unit is not fast enough, try calling the manufacturer. You may have a bad unit. Your unit may not be kicking into high speed or your unit was incorrectly programmed for ONLY run at trickle speed or you pressed a bunch of buttons in frustation and re-programmed it yourself.
The last thing they want is a frustrated customer complaining on the 'net, but they can't do anything until they know about it.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:17 PM   #9
wncchester

"Does anyone have any ideas on this fun situation..."

Yeah, if you just tweaked the screws and hoped that would fix it.

Dump all powder, remove and clean the contact surfaces of both the body and drum of all impacted powder. Reassemble and tighten the drum screws as directed but on the clean surfaces and try again; the leaks should be gone.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:12 AM   #10
mohr308

when I first noticed how much powder was leaking, I removed all the powder from the hopper and read the directions for this problem. after reassembling the unit and still leaking powder, I gave up, finished loading for the night and made this post. I'm going to try and run more graphite thru it again and see what happens. I did notice uneven wear on the two surfaces, so maybe another run with the graphite will help.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:52 AM   #11
1stmar

You can try powdered graphite, spray it on the cones and work it in.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:26 AM   #12
mohr308

Well, I just spent an hour running the powdered graphite thru it, and another 10 min running the H335. There is a considerable difference in how much leaked thru, about 80% less. The one thing i did notice is, the H335 starts off pulling easy, then the pulls get harder. Im guessing thats the powder making its way in-between the 2 surfaces. If this is normal then I'm fine with that! Im used to running extruded powders, this is my first time using something so fine.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:01 AM   #13
1stmar

It might be the set screw on the right has tightened
Old September 13, 2012, 06:32 AM   #14
BDS-THR

www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=651675
Old September 13, 2012, 07:10 AM   #15
jaguarxk120

The best way to fix that leaking powder is to get a Redding powder measure!!!
Old September 13, 2012, 10:52 AM   #16
BDS-THR

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...valuation.html

Quote:
Lee Perfect Powder Measure: You can spend a lot more money on a measure but you won’t get one that is better. I owned a $250 Harrell’s Premium Power Measure, but prefer the $20 Lee.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:11 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Lee Perfect Powder Measure: You can spend a lot more money on a measure but you won’t get one that is better. I owned a $250 Harrell’s Premium Power Measure, but prefer the $20 Lee.
That's nothing more than personal preference.
And, I'm not really sure about that guy's thought process, anyway...
Spend $900-$1,000 TWICE for powder charge equipment, and then claim that the PPM is the best powder measure on the market. If it was so great, why did he spend so much money on all of that ridiculous equipment?

There used to be a Perfect Powder Measure collecting dust on one of the shelves in my reloading room, due to the ridiculous amount of powder it leaked. Now, it's missing. I have absolutely no idea where it went, and couldn't care less.

The Uniflows and Dillon measures in my reloading room are not the best thing on the market, but I greatly prefer them over the Lee PPM.

...Just personal preference.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:02 PM   #18
BDS-THR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
And, I'm not really sure about that guy's thought process, anyway...
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...valuation.html

Quote:
Old Setup:
My old setup, as shown in the picture above, consisted of two RCBS Chargemasters and one Acculab VIC-123. The Chargemasters would pre-weigh the charge at the exact target weight I was shooting for. Then I would perform a final weigh on the VIC-123 with whatever small adjustments were needed: either trickling a few kernels in or taking a few out with my fingers. Using this method, I could achieve accuracy of +/- 0.05 gr. at an average speed of 27 seconds per charge. It was possible to get a little more precise, but it would take much longer to weigh each charge - too long.

Quote:
New Setup:
1. Sartorius GD503 purchased from balances.com (great folks, they pre-programmed it by emailing me and setting it to weigh in grains).
2. Omega Power Trickler: You can trickle single kernels with ease.
3. Lee Perfect Powder Measure: You can spend a lot more money on a measure but you won’t get one that is better. I owned a $250 Harrell’s Premium Power Measure, but prefer the $20 Lee.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:03 PM   #19
wncchester

"Spend $900-$1,000 TWICE for powder charge equipment, and then claim that the PPM is the best powder measure on the market. If it was so great, why did he spend so much money on all of that ridiculous equipment?"

Goodness.

BDS spent all that money because he didn't know the more costly "ridiculous" stuff was little - if any - better and rationally assumed it would be better. Now that he actually has meaningful experience with BOTH types maybe his comments are somewhat more valuable than elitist 'opinion' ... or is it not? If experience counts for anything, and it usually does, perhaps he's worth listening to, rather than someone else's untested 'opinion' of his experienced info?
Old September 13, 2012, 09:13 PM   #20
BDS-THR

That's not me.

The link to "The Rifleman's Journal" is a dedicated long-range precision shooting website where accuracy and precision is everything with .308/30-06 (can you say 1000 yard Palma match?).

Before I started loading .308, I spent some time on their website and must say, IMPRESSIVE! - http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...les-index.html

Check out their "pet loads" page - http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...pet-loads.html

Here are some of their credentials:
Quote:
Mid Tompkins
At Camp Perry, in 1963, Mid became the first shooter to win the Highpower National Championship with the .308. He won it six times, as well as the Long-Range Championship, the Wimbledon Cup and the Leech Cup, not to mention being on countless Palma teams as shooter and coach. I can't think of anyone more qualified to open this article.

Bob Jensen
I think it's safe to say that Bob Jensen has loaded more .308 ammunition for Palma shooting than any other person I'm aware of. Bob, of course, loaded over 300,000 rounds for the 1992 Palma Match, ammunition that was used by competitors from all nations; and before that, he loaded 98,000 rounds for the US Army Marksmanship Unit.
Old September 14, 2012, 12:57 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
BDS spent all that money because he didn't know the more costly "ridiculous" stuff was little - if any - better and rationally assumed it would be better. Now that he actually has meaningful experience with BOTH types maybe his comments are somewhat more valuable than elitist 'opinion' ... or is it not? If experience counts for anything, and it usually does, perhaps he's worth listening to, rather than someone else's untested 'opinion' of his experienced info?
So, I'm an elitist for questioning why a guy would 'throw money into the wind' for a bunch of redundant powder metering equipment?
Or is it just because I don't like the PPM?

Seriously, wncchester, you pull out that "elitist" card far too often, when some one makes even the slightest comment about preferring something over the equivalent Lee tool.

Notice.... I didn't even say the RCBS or Dillon tools were better. I simply stated that I PREFER them. My opinion differs from some one else's.
That makes me an elitist?
Old September 14, 2012, 01:31 AM   #22
darkgael

Hmmm

Quote:
The best way to fix that leaking powder is to get a Redding powder measure!!
Redding, indeed, makes a good powder measure. I have one. It leaks.
Pete
Old September 14, 2012, 05:02 AM   #23
UtopiaTexasG19

Regarding my post above about the Hornady electric measure being so slow. It is not the initial 99% of the charge dispensing too slow, it is the last .2 of a grain. The unit, on the fast speed, dispenses the initial part of the charge very quickly but then takes as long as 45 seconds to dispense the final .2 tenths. At that point I've already measured out 3-4 charges manually with a scoop and digital scale sitting at a table right next to the Hornady unit. I called Hornady and they said "it depends on the powder" being used.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:31 PM   #24
noylj

Utopia: Both the Hornady and RCBS can be programmed to speed up a particular weight or weight range.
My RCBS is untouched, and it keeps up with my Dillon 1050 quite well. I have NEVER had to wait longer than 15 seconds for a charge, except when it needs to "fill" the trickler.
I can't believe that Hornady was that unhelpful. Call again and ask if you can program for your weight range or if they can take it back and be sure it is working alright.
Old September 15, 2012, 12:10 AM   #25
Marco Califo

Funnel?

I use a funnel with my Lee PPM.

The PPM drop tube does not properly fit 223 cases.

That could be where your stray powder was coming from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 662853.jpg (37.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Marco Califo; September 15, 2012 at 10:23 AM.