The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 22, 2012, 11:22 AM   #26
JerryM

If the wife objects forget it.
To ignore her objections when you admit you do not need it is foolish.

Ignore advice from those who are not married or do not put their wife's views as equals. Not that may post such things with a statement, "my ex."

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:50 PM   #27
Andrewsmith1

When I got married I knew that my wife did not like guns, but I took the guns I already owned into the marriage without any argument. Any suggestion of a handgun was quickly shot down. She was an ER doctor and had to treat too many gunshot wounds. After a home invasion while I was at home and had to fight them off with a small knife I she decided to go to the gun shop with me to select good home defense gun We walked home with a Mossberg 500 in .12 gauge for me and the same model in .20 gauge for her. When I asked her if she knew how to operate a gun safely she told me she had gone sheet shooting several times with the same model and gauge of gun she selected.

Sadly my marriage ended because I developed some health problems and she divorced me because she could not take care of me while I recovered and pursue her career. Now that I am single I am making a recovery and have used the chance to purchase a 5 rifles and 2 handguns with the condition that if I ever remarry the guns stay with me and hopefully I will find a woman who enjoys shooting. I am still sad about my divorce because she was and still is the love of my life. I would give up the new guns in a heartbeat to have her back but I was too sick to contribute much to the marriage at the time and she was too worn out from working and taking care of me to continue.

It is easy to find a reason to justify a new gun purchase, but don't risk putting a strain in the marriage over it. I have rounded out my collection of firearms to cover all my hunting needs and my self defense needs. I would like one more handgun in .45acp maybe a small 9mm to increase my CCW options but I really don't need to buy any more guns unless one just totally wears out or breaks and can't be repaired for a reasonable cost. Of course I say that and may find another must have gun the next time I am at the gun store, but I am trying to resist the urge to fall in love with everything I see. I waited for a year and a half for a Keltec PMR-30 to become available and took it off my must have list. It really is not practical for my needs.