The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2011, 04:15 AM   #1
bacardisteve

think i need a new coyote rifle

I have gotten into coyote hunting this year and so far its been fun. I just found out there is a place 15miles from me that buys the pelts. I have been using a 17hmr recently but have had to pass on a few shots that were not ideal for the little gun. However it works great with a clear headshot. I also got one with a 308 and one with a 450 marlin. Yup i brought enough gun but they ruin any chance at saving a pelt. I have a 223 but i really dont wanna bang around my expensive ar15 in the mountains we hunt. Anybody have any experince with 22hornet on these critters. I want something that wont tear em to hell but give me a little security on a less than ideal shot. Probably gonna be a h&r single shot for what its worth.
Old November 19, 2011, 08:09 AM   #2
MOshooter65202

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki...=en&country=US

Looks like the 22 Hornet would make a fine coyote gun as well as a 223.
FMJ bullets should be less destructive on hides.
Old November 19, 2011, 11:16 AM   #3
603Country

Bacardi, about a year or so ago I went through just about the same decision process that you are on. The first decision was on the cartridge, and I considered the 22 Hornet and 218 Bee but decided that I wanted a bit more range. Then I considered the 204, which might be just what you need. Finally I decided on the 223 because of the wide range of bullet weights I could shoot. Then I packed up the truck and went to Dallas to shop for a NEF single shot, but wound up with a Ruger bolt gun that was on sale. Bottom line is that you might just want that 204 if coyotes are what you intend to shoot and you want to save the pelts, but the 223 does have a wide range of bullet types and weights, you already have the reloading dies and the cases, and you could load up small explosive bullets that won't destroy the pelt.
Old November 19, 2011, 11:43 AM   #4
tahunua001

have you considered a thompson center contender in 223? I know I bang my AR15 around all the time and have never hurt it. I dont know what kindof AR you have though, I would probably be less likely to take a daniel defense or armalite out hunting over a cheapo like a DPMS or M&P.
Old November 19, 2011, 01:44 PM   #5
rickyrick

You already have an AR, why not use it. It was intended to be banged around, that's why its expensive.
Old November 19, 2011, 03:24 PM   #6
kaylorinhi

Check out a the Stevens and Savage .223's.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/14603

That is one example of price for the Stevens. I can tell you that my wifes shoots 1-1.5 MOA in good weather. I did not do serious testing that was from the sight-in process, only 3 groups of 3, and few other range days.

Smae ammo, but remember that the barrel on the Stevens is marked .223 rem only not 5.56.
Old November 19, 2011, 04:38 PM   #7
pbrktrt

Hornady has the new .17 Hornet. Might be the ticket.
Old November 20, 2011, 08:54 PM   #8
treg

You could get some camo tape and use the pretty AR.
Old November 20, 2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Mobuck

I've "banged around" a pretty nice AR for two winters and it doesn't look too bad. That's what they were made for. I can understand a guy not wanting to beat up an $800+ investment, but I can safely say the advantage of a followup shot will justify a lot of dings on a working rifle.
An AR is a lot more bulky and heavier than a NEF/H&R single shot in regards to carrying in the field. The downside of the NEF rifles I've had experience with is change in zero at inopportune times. Mine sometimes require a few shots to return to zero after bore cleaning. I've also had some unexplained misses after a drastic temp change that can't be caused by optic malfunction.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:14 PM   #10
603Country

If you don't want to lug around the AR, one of the small bolt rifles in 223 would probably be perfect, and are very light and well balanced. The Remington Model 7 or the Ruger Hawkeye Compact or that small CZ or something similar from several other makers would be nice to use. I've got a Ruger Compact, though not in 223, and it's a great rifle. Get one in stainless with a synthetic stock and don't even worry about it getting beat up.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Panfisher

NEF Makes the Handi-Rifles in .223 also, although the .204 Rguer is interesting. Would be handy though to have the other rifle in .223, mine is short light and a joy to pack around. It gets more carry time now than my Ruger 77H in 22 Hornet because my Hornet is my "pretty" rifle. Don't care how many scuffs the little Handi-Rifle gets, a quick second shot would be nice but not gonna happen with the handi-rifle. One thing to think about if you do ding up your AR how value will it have lost? $200-300, another rifle and scope will cost more than that, plus you get to play with the AR more and will be that much more at home with it.
Old November 23, 2011, 11:27 PM   #12
bacardisteve

Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to go with 223 over the hornet do to ammo availability. As for the rifle i just orderd a saiga 223 that was on sale for $299. Couldnt pass it up and it should do nicely for what i need. Several mentioned just taking the ar but my girl would kill me if i rough up the finish on the lwrc she bought me last christmas.
Old November 24, 2011, 05:06 AM   #13
Bamashooter

I use sierra varmiter bullets in my .223 for yote loads. It does a good job of killing without damaging the pelt too much. Pretty much what they were designed to do.
Old November 24, 2011, 08:07 AM   #14
rickyrick

Let us know how the rifle does, I have been eyeballin one of those for my wife.
Old November 27, 2011, 02:13 PM   #15
ritepath

Take the AR....best part is you can rattle off another 10 or 15 shots if you miss. Nothing like making them run faster. I always carry 20's just because....
Old November 27, 2011, 04:38 PM   #16
Buzzcook

Look at the Savage Model 12 in .204 Ruger. Good rifle fun cartridge.
Old November 27, 2011, 06:02 PM   #17
rickyrick

On second thought I dinged the mini pretty good last night... I withdraw my suggestion on taking your pretty AR out LOL.
Old November 28, 2011, 01:01 AM   #18
mdd

If your new rifle will shoot them straight, I will strongly suggest 40 grain vmax bullets. I have shot many coyotes with them & have only had one ever give an exit wound. Also only had one ever run on me but that was a 259 yard shot right into the boiler room on the biggest coyote I've ever taken.