The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 9, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1
95dsm

First 12ga

Just bought my first 12 ga. Its a Benelli Nove Pump. I bought it over the moss 500p and the rem 870... I went to go shoot it today and broke it in with a good 50 shells through it. Seems like a really nice gun and I love the sights on it over the other 2 guns. What do you guys think about the gun?
Old April 10, 2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

Welcome!!

From everything I've heard they are a good, solid, dependable shotgun that will probably outlast you.

The only downside is that with the Nova, since the receiver and stock are all one piece, you can't change out the stock. But if it fits you well and you don't plan on swapping out the stock, then you're all set.

Buy lots of ammo, get lots of practice, and shoot safe.

Smitty

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old April 10, 2007, 06:12 PM   #3
ebutler462

I love my Nova. Only problem is the forearm rattle. If they could recall these guns and set them up like the Supernova (no rattle) they would be much better in stalking turkeys, or anything else. I understand that this rattling problem has been taken care of on the new models. Why don't they recall the older models and make a lot of Nova owners happy. Fine gun. Great shooter.
Old April 10, 2007, 08:10 PM   #4
95dsm

Yea there is no rattle with mine ( so far) I like it a lot and the chokes they gave me with the gun are really good. Do they have a choke that is even tighter then full? Also i cant seem to be able to get my stop out that only allows me to hold 2 in the bottom and 1 ready to shoot
Old April 10, 2007, 08:28 PM   #5
MDman

ive got a pardener and a nova, the nova is deffintaly a great shotgun, I sugest buying the mercury recoil reducer for it, their great. I also rember having a hard time removing the stop from mine, but i did eventualy do it...sorry i cant rember how
Old April 10, 2007, 10:23 PM   #6
ebutler462

To take the plug out, remove the magazine cap. Remove the barrel. Take a small screwdriver and work it aroud the thin metal interior cap where the plug is visible. Keep pulling it out a little at a time until it pops out. Be careful because it will jump out. Take the plug and put it someshere for safekeeping. put the spring back in the tube. Punch the thin metal intereior back in place. You may have to squeeze it with some pliers around its circumference. Tap it back in with the wooden end of a hammer. Put the barrel back on and the magazine cap.

When you put the plug back in for dove, etc., just punch it in without pulling out the interior cap. It does not have to be behind the interior cap. When you tighten the magazine cap, it will go into position.

I am glad that you are not having trouble with the rattling forearm. I wish they would recall all the older Novas and attend to this problem.
Old April 10, 2007, 10:25 PM   #7
ebutler462

Your question re: Tighter chokes than full. There are several aftermarket chokes made especially for turkeys and other use. I like the Undertaker for turkey. Carries a full load a fur piece. Great for turkeys. Check these forums for different brands of aftermarket chokes.
Old April 11, 2007, 12:14 AM   #8
chris in va

I had one for a while. I like the 500 much better.