The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 16, 2014, 12:06 PM   #1
marine6680

Savage Mkii need opinions and info

The fiancé has fallen in love with a Savage Mkii with thumb hole stock. So that may be a purchase very soon.

Some questions...

Most seem to like the rifle, if you have experience with it, please tell me how it went. Accuracy? Reliability? Etc

We may get the unscoped or scope package version. If we get the scoped packaged version that will leave me with an extra scope, as I have a redfield tac 22 currently that we like a lot. I can either swap the packaged 3-9 with the redfield 2-7 or not. If I do not, the only rifle I have that needs a scope atm is my 6.8spc AR. I would think the scope is built similarly as the other redfield tac models, but I am not sure. Do you guys think the tac 22 would hold up on a centerfire rifle? The 6.8 isn't exactly punishing on recoil.

Thanks
Old October 16, 2014, 12:41 PM   #2
mxsailor803

I had one for quite a while that I built up. I started with the plain jane bull barrel synthetic stock version and added a Boyds Evolution stock, DIP trigger guard plate (extremely strong when compared to the original), and a DIP scope base with a BSA 6-24X40 scope. I used it a lot for bench rest shooting and general goofing off. Best group I ever got at 100yds was a .584 3 shot group with CCI STD Vel 40gr ammo. These rifles can be extremely accurate if the shooter can do their part. Look over on rimfirecentral.com in the savage section and see a bunch of build ups.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:48 AM   #3
bamaranger

TR

My TR version is extremely accurate, and the accu-trigger is a plus.

But the magazines are junk. Somebody needs to come up with a quality polymer mag for that family of rifles.
Old October 17, 2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Doyle

Go over to Rimfire Central and read the comments there. The rifle is generally very accurate but Savage seems to suffer from quality control issues - particularly with the magazine and the magazine latch area. I thought I wanted one until I started reading about the hit-or-miss quality issues. Apparently, some purchasers never have a single problem while others do.
Old October 17, 2014, 07:50 AM   #5
marine6680

As many are sold, and the complaints seem to come from a small vocal group... I think overall the rifles work, with a few that haveag issues. Most say the 10rd mags work well and to use those instead.
Old October 17, 2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Pahoo

You will not be disappointed.

Quote:
The fiancé has fallen in love with a Savage Mkii with thumb hole stock.
Your fiancé has very good taste. All things considered, you will not be disappointed. I passed on the scope package. Only because of wanting a choice of pattern, I bought mine with the synthetic stock and then one of the Boyd thumbholes. Have been very pleases with the performance. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 17, 2014, 03:34 PM   #7
marine6680

I was looking at the Boyd's thumbholes for the 10/22... So you think there stock is nice?
Old October 17, 2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Chuck Dye

I bought the MkII GL, pre-AccuTrigger, for the honorary nephew. His Dad and I had the stock shortened, later bought a Boyd's full sized replacement as the kid out grew the shortened stock. The rifle has been great in terms of fit and finish (not spectacular, but good,) function, and accuracy. My disappointments are two: I keep running afoul of the ten round magazine, but that is partly/largely attributable to my Ruger 77/22 and habits developed with that flush mount magazine, and the iron sights are pretty coarse. The day I started discussing installing aftermarket irons with Dad he cut me off, pointing to kiddo happily clearing a row of spent brass, rifle and pistol, from the 25 yard berm (younger eyes .) When it became clear kiddo had mastered the open sights, I added a Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire Special. The honorary nephew now has nephews of his own who get a kick out of shooting Uncle's rifle from the left shoulder. I have occasionally thought to fund an aftermarket trigger but have been waived off so far. With the exception of my clashes with that protruding magazine, the rifle draws no complaints.

Last edited by Chuck Dye; October 17, 2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old October 17, 2014, 06:36 PM   #9
Pahoo

I do !!!

Quote:
I was looking at the Boyd's thumbholes for the 10/22... So you think there stock is nice?
Where would you guess, Savage gets these stocks from? I do like the thumbholes but they are pretty much relegated to the bench as oppose to my hunters. When I take it hunting, I just switch to the standard field stock. ....

I have shooting buddies that at first glance, do not like the thumbholes and change their minds, after shooting one. .......

Be Safe !!!
Old October 17, 2014, 07:01 PM   #10
ronl

I really enjoy my MkII TR. It is very accurate. I have had no problems whatsoever with mine.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:00 PM   #11
marine6680

I think she will like it, just waiting for her to make up her mind.
Old October 17, 2014, 10:09 PM   #12
BigBL87

I have the FV (heavy barrel version). Really like it, but I'd like to get a Boyd's stock to replace the original.
Old October 18, 2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Pahoo

Good call

Quote:
I have the FV (heavy barrel version).
Should not be a problem and if I'm not mistaken, not only do you have the heavier barrel but a shorter barrel. You will be pleased with the price as well as the "fit". Just make sure to buy the supporting hardware. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 18, 2014, 09:43 AM   #14
Husqvarna

I like my mkII

don't get the idea of a thumbholestock on a boltaction thou

I don't like package deals with scopes, you have to reinstall them anyway most of the time and the scopes are cheapish junk
Old October 18, 2014, 04:19 PM   #15
marine6680

Supporting hardware?
Old October 18, 2014, 07:05 PM   #16
Pahoo

Some stocks are not totally complete

Quote:
Supporting hardware?
On some stocks, from Boyds, you get just the stock and depending on what you had, you may have to purchase a new trigger guard, mag plate and associated fasteners. Just look in the Boyd's website section that lists these. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old October 20, 2014, 07:57 AM   #17
marine6680

Ah... Thanks