The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 28, 2006, 03:59 AM   #1
TheGrouch

1911 builders

Looking to assemble a 9mm 1911. Caspian Arms appears to have the best combination of price/quality. I plan to have Caspian fit the slide and receiver at the factory. Is there anything else in the build process that might be beyond the amateur gunsmith? I've built an AR lower and can follow a schematic.
Old December 28, 2006, 05:08 AM   #2
Powderman

I highly recommend getting a copy of the shop manual for the .45 by Jerry Kuhnhausen. It is highly informative, and you can actually build a quality 1911 from the information contained therein.

Remember, though--TAKE YOUR TIME. Go slow; measure 3 times, cut once--and when you do cut, cut slowly. You can always remove more metal, but once it's off you can't put it back.

Pause frequently to check your work. And, good luck!
Old December 28, 2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Jim Watson

You don't assemble a 1911. You build it, there is a good chance that every piece in it will have to be fitted to everything it comes in contact with.

I would consider having Caspian put on the plunger tube, ejector, and grip screw bushings. Those are kind of tedious jobs. But figure on doing it yourself if you want a bright finish, it is a lot easier to flat polish the sides without the plunger tube and grip screw bushings protruding.
Consider having Caspian mill for beavertail and sights, if you know what you want in time to order the right cuts.
Old December 28, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4
HSMITH

There is a WOLRD more to building a 1911 than there is assembling an AR. It will take a lot more investment in tools, knowledge and patience. I don't discourage anyone from doing it, but know what you are getting into. I would not suggest a 9mm to start, they are a lot more finicky than a 45 or a 10mm/long loaded 40.

Have all the milling done by Caspian, machine time is expensive and must be done right.

There is a reasonable chance that you can assemble a 1911 using all GI parts on a GI frame and slide, but even then it is far from a sure thing. Trying to do it with mainstream parts of today is virtually impossible. Most everything will need to be fitted.
Old December 28, 2006, 05:21 PM   #5
TheGrouch

Sounds like it is out of my league. Appreciate the info though. Thanks.