The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2013, 07:24 PM   #1
JayClark79

NEWB question please check my grain to cc math lol

I just want to make sure im doing this right..

Using Zip powder with a VMD of .08163 and a load of 5.2 grains (will probably start lighter even though the Zip info says to start here and work up to 5.8) my powder CC should be .42cc?

Lead 230 grain 45 ACP is the bullet
Old March 3, 2013, 07:31 PM   #2
olddav

YOU DO NOT OWN A SCALE ?
You are going to try to reload without one?
Old March 3, 2013, 07:40 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

It is not advised to go below the starting load with powder. There is a reason that there is a starting load. Also I would advise spending a few dollars to buy a scale. A cheapo digital is better than nothing at all. If you go below starting loads it can lead to erratic pressure, and squibs. If one goes in enough, and is not caught the next one fired can be catastrophic (Meaning blown up gun.)
Old March 3, 2013, 07:53 PM   #4
JayClark79

I have a digital scale... I'm not reloading yet just gathering information... I wanted to make sure I was doing the math right so I don't use a lot more or less WHEN I do start... I have the press set up now, just waiting on a few more components to show up.

Thanks for the info about the load I'll start at the recommended 5.2 then.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:56 PM   #5
JayClark79

Not really sure how you took my math question as not having a scale? I guess I was worried about the cc vs the grains cause I'll be using a lee powder measure and wanted to make sure ibwas going to use the right powder disk.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

What's VMD?

OK, I know what it MEANS. But what are its dimensions?

Lbs per cubic foot is pretty much ruled out.

Grains per cubic centimeter is, I am sure, what you mean, but it is always a good idea to be specific. Volume Measure Density is not.

Anyhow, enough breaking your chops.

Your math is correct
0.08163 cubic centimeters per grain
x 5.2 desired charge weight in grains
0.424476 cc vto get 5.2 grains.

Many loaders have loaded for centuries by volume only, but that was black powder. Smokeless powder is different. Many loaders load by volume with smokeless powder, but almost all regulate their volume (and communicate with each other on forums and in manuals and web sites) by weight.

Lee's $25 scale is very accurate, though some find it hard to read if they don't understand how to use a vernier. $80 for an Ohaus 505 is cheap insurance.

Lost Sheep
Old March 3, 2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

Faith in the Auto-Disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayClark79
Not really sure how you took my math question as not having a scale? I guess I was worried about the cc vs the grains cause I'll be using a lee powder measure and wanted to make sure ibwas going to use the right powder disk.
By the way, welcome to the forum. Thanks for asking our advice. The only dumb question is one you don't ask, but should.

Also, I know how daunting it can be starting out. But I often forget how tough it is to start out without a mentor for reassurance.

When I first started loading my tutelage consisted of 6 rounds. My mentor loaded 3 while narrating and answering my questions as I watched. Then he watched me load 3. After that it was "ABC's of Reloading" and a Lyman Manual. There was no internet back then.

The Lee Auto-Disk and the Lee Dippers are notorious for delivering light loads (but not all the cavities or dippers do). A scale is HIGHLY advisable to confirm you are using the right cavity and to confirm that the cavity is delivering the expected amount.

Please do not be put off asking ANY question.

Lost Sheep
Old March 3, 2013, 10:27 PM   #8
olddav

JayClark79
Glad you asked this question, I would not have found this info other wise.
I don't think I'll use in my current reloading efforts but I will consider it in the future, THANKS.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:55 PM   #9
JayClark79

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Old March 4, 2013, 05:31 PM   #10
pathdoc

The Lee Auto-Disk and the Lee Dippers are notorious for delivering light loads

On the other hand, they're better than kitchen measuring spoons for dispensing powder into the scale, which is what I started out by doing (no, they never went in the kitchen once I started using them for powder). Use the scoop or the disk to dispense a deliberate undercharge quickly, and then trickle it up to desired weight.

A powder trickler should possibly be one of the next things you get, if you haven't already got or ordered one. It makes this process a lot easier.