The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2016, 01:36 PM   #26
armoredman

Actually, 44AMP, the box style is early 60s.
Old October 21, 2016, 04:35 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Actually, 44AMP, the box style is early 60s.
OK.

That box style was still on the shelves when I started buying them in the early 70s, and I still see them sometimes on gun show tables in 2016! They never seem to sell them for the old prices, though!
Old October 21, 2016, 05:19 PM   #28
briandg

Have you priced that mustang that has been sitting in the backroom since the sixties?

Vintage bullets are a bargain.
Old October 21, 2016, 09:22 PM   #29
MoDock

(briandg) " Sedalia is known in missouri as one of the best towns to drive through.

Being one of the best states to drive through in one of the most important of the flyover states is quite an accomplishment. "

Gil Favor and Rowdy Yates drove a lot of cattle through Sedalia.

Pete
Old October 21, 2016, 09:49 PM   #30
briandg

Baxter springs down here calls itself America's first cow town, but the people around here call it "that bunch of houses next to the power plant".
Old November 5, 2017, 11:43 PM   #31
BlackdogGS

I have a few unopened boxes of those. I bought mine 35 years ago. I’ll load them for my AR.

Old November 7, 2017, 01:22 PM   #32
hdwhit

Quote:
Do bullets spoil?
No, but the gilding metal jacket can tarnish.

Every couple of decades or so, I get out my "classic bullets", wash them in a weak acid, rinse them, tumble them in walnut media and box them back up.
Old November 7, 2017, 02:09 PM   #33
FITASC

Quote:
Sierra was using those boxes as recently as 25 years ago
Now THAT just made me feel even older today........

There was a time, IIRC, when Sierra gave you 101 in a box so you could use one to set your depth. That was a while ago, way back when they were located in the Sierras.....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 7, 2017, 02:11 PM   #34
RAEIndustries

Those are sweet , maybe 25-35 years old ?
Old November 7, 2017, 05:39 PM   #35
wild willy

There is also a Sierra box late 70 early 80 with a picture of shooter and a dog.says on box A product of The Leisure Group Inc .My oldest boxes are mid to late 70 they al have a five or six digit code stamped on them some have two encircled numbers. I missed the above post that what my box looks like
Old November 9, 2017, 05:15 AM   #36
armoredman

I have fired most of them, very accurate little buggers. Too expensive to keep buying, Hornaday is cheaper and so far, pretty darn accurate as well. It was fun.
Old November 10, 2017, 04:14 AM   #37
Geezerbiker

I was given a box of 50g .22 Sierra bullets around 20 years ago and they were old then. When I finally got around to opening them there was a car key stuffed in the box with the bullets. I called Sierra and they thought it was funny but no idea why it was in there. They offered to compensate me for any missing bullets but the was actually one extra in the box. They were so old that there wasn't a lot number on the box...

Tony
Old November 10, 2017, 10:39 AM   #38
F. Guffey

I took a picture of one of my bullet drawers, the picture weighed 200 pounds. I do not believe I will ever get around to sorting my bullets by matching the boxes.

F. Guffey
Old November 11, 2017, 10:49 AM   #39
the possum

Dad brought a bunch of stuff home from an estate auction a couple months ago. The guy was obviously a reloader and had notes and load data written on a lot of boxes, with dates from the early 1970s.

There was also one box of Nosler Partition bullets like I'd never seen before. The cannelure was obviously lathe turned. I believe these were some of their early bullets that were machined from copper rods, back before they had equipment to start drawing the bullet bodies in huge dies. Dad saved those back for a conversation piece.