The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 26, 2016, 06:29 PM   #1
hnusz

Steel plate for target

I have a steel plate that is 17"x17"x1/2" it's a36. Would it be ok to shoot with handguns. Would be using 9mm 10mm 45acp. Bullets are cast from clip on wheel weights plus 2% tin. Would also be using a 44mag site I got bullets from said they were 18 bhn.will be shooting at a minimum of 25 yards. Thanks
Old June 26, 2016, 06:40 PM   #2
mete

At 25 yds you might want to use a bigger plate ,such as 18x18x1/2.
Best to angle that at 45* so the bullets hit and go down. Some bullets will splatter so I put a light angle iron at the sides. You might also suspend the plate so the energy is absorbed by the plate swinging .Make sure younhave a decent back stop ,earthen bank etc behind the plate , someone will miss the plate !!
Old June 26, 2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnusz View Post
I have a steel plate that is 17"x17"x1/2" it's a36. Would it be ok to shoot with handguns. Would be using 9mm 10mm 45acp. Bullets are cast from clip on wheel weights plus 2% tin. Would also be using a 44mag site I got bullets from said they were 18 bhn.will be shooting at a minimum of 25 yards. Thanks

I shoot A36 with rifles on our own farm, but I keep them at minimum 300 yards (goes out to 600 in 50 yard increments) as they'll crater out under rifles impacts. That being said I did try tilting an A36 plate 10-15 degrees and firing my 45 at it. No noticeable impact marks and bullets splattered and deflected down.

Only reason I'm using it is the fact that it's a byproduct of our prototype shop when we build throwaway tooling. We'll make laser cut laminate stamping dies to run small runs during R & D, lots of times they'll cut 1/2 or 5/8 discs out... They know to keep them for me

I would use caution though shooting pistols at a dedicated piece of A36, save yourself any issue and get some harder stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 27, 2016, 05:07 AM   #4
hnusz

Yes it will be a hanging target. I will be using it on the rifle range the berm is like 60' long and 30' high with stations at 25, 50, two at 100 and one at 200 yards. A36 is what we use at work it was an oops cut I got it for free.
Old June 28, 2016, 06:24 AM   #5
Kimber84

I would be hesitant to place it on a range just out of caution of someone else taking a shot at it with a rifle and sending the bullet or shrapnel right back at you. Many times I've seen dust flying out in our fields from splattered steel blowing out. Keep in mind though we have over 300 acres and nothing anywhere around us.

Old June 28, 2016, 06:51 AM   #6
hnusz

It's a private range but I would be the only one shooting at it . No chance of anyone else shooting at it I would set it up than take it with me when I'm done.
Old June 28, 2016, 07:02 AM   #7
Don P

Quote:
I have a steel plate that is 17"x17"x1/2" it's a36
This reply,

Quote:
At 25 yds you might want to use a bigger plate ,such as 18x18x1/2
I'm confused, 1" larger is going to make that much difference?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 28, 2016, 07:08 AM   #8
Mobuck

Not familiar with A36, I'm old school so it's either hard plate or cold roll.
I shoot common cold roll plate closer than 25 yards with handguns up to 9mm/38SP and rimfire. Jacketed bullets MAY rebound FYI. I've been hit a few times and have heard some hits on the metal garage roof 50' behind the shooting point.
I hang plates from chains welded to the back upper corners giving the plate a moderate angle to send most of the bullets toward the dirt. Works well enough for 22 and plated centerfire bullets. Hard cast bullets may do some odd things so be aware. Even 3/8" plate will hold up well enough to low/moderate power handgun bullets.
Old June 28, 2016, 08:43 AM   #9
David R

A36 is hot rolled. Handguns will not hurt it, 223 and up will put a ding in it.
Old June 28, 2016, 01:33 PM   #10
Fla_dogman

I shoot a piece of 3/8 I beam at my hand gun range. 357 and 45's at 15 yards don't hurt it at all. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. There's a lot of difference between handguns and rifles.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old June 28, 2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Old Stony

I have my own range set up with mild steel targets at 20, 50 and 100 yds.. I put up a sign for anyone I let use the range to not shoot at any of the steel with high powered rifle closer than the 100 yd. line ( my 100 yd. targets are basically sacrificial). I went out to mow the range yesterday and a guy had shot the crap out of a hanging 50 yd disc. with an AK. No holes through it, but lots of really deep dings that tend to make handgun stuff richochet back at you. I'm going to have a long talk with that guy and he won't be using my range in the future if we don't come to a understanding.
Basically, I have had no problem with handguns and any of my hanging targets at either 20 or 50 yds. I hang them at an angle as previously suggested.
Old June 29, 2016, 05:03 AM   #12
hnusz

Thanks guys. I will weld chains on the back and give it a try.
Old June 29, 2016, 10:44 AM   #13
springer99

Be careful with steel plates if they're closer than 50yds or so. Years ago when pistol metallic silhouette competition was much popular in my area, I was shooting at 50yd pig targets and got hit with a richochet from one. It was a 44Mag from a Contender. Darn jacket and lead base went thru my bluegeans, punched a hole in my leather boot and came to rest against my shinbone. Pockmarks in those targets from highpower cartridges can cause bullets to come back at almost any angle and will do damage.
Old June 29, 2016, 06:49 PM   #14
Lost Sheep

Rather than welding chain on the back (which will make the plate hang such that bullets wi9ll be deflected downward - good thinking on your part), you might want to put holes in the plate and use ring bolts.

That away you can

1) adjust the angle of hang by how you position the ring bolt and

2) pull the ring bolts and put them in the other way around so you can use the other side of the plate when the one side gets dinged up or bowed.

Enjoy.

Lost Sheep
Old June 30, 2016, 09:18 AM   #15
Hunter Customs

Check out Hang Fast Targets, best steel target system I've found.
I use one of Their 8 inch round plates at 300 yards to shoot with my AR's and 223 bolt rifle, I can honestly say I feel it's the best money I ever spent.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old July 23, 2016, 07:40 PM   #16
jackstrawIII

Angle

I recently set up steel targets and did tons of research in preparation. Don't tilt your targets 45 degrees, keep it to 15-25 degrees. Any lower and you have a risk of the bullets ricocheting instead of splattering, which is what you want.

I set up my AR500 targets at roughly 15 degree tilt and shoot them at 10 yards all the time. No problems at all, and I've shot everything from 22 to 45. Just make sure nothing is sticking out and especially beware of what's under the target. When the jacket splatters down and out, don't give it anything hard to bounce off of and come flying at you.
Old July 23, 2016, 08:37 PM   #17
MJFlores

Just drill a hole in the top and hang in on a plant hanger. Works perfect. For the heavier plates you can pound a steel fence post behind the plant hanger and use heavy wire to attach the two. Here's a picture of my range...I shoot several times per week and sometimes every day of the week. Those targets have been there from 4 years now and I havent replaced the hanger or fence post despite them being hit mult times. These plates are all AR500 steel, and I shoot mostly 9mm and .44 magnum but plenty of .357 magnum, .45 ACP and a ton of .22. I have a 50 yard 16" plate that I shoot moderate rifles at as well as all the hand guns and a 100 yard 8" plate that I call the "sacrificial plate" that I hot with everything from handguns to muzzle loaders, AR's and heavy rifles. All my handgun plates are sized anywhere from 6" up to 12". Anyway, plant hangers or as we call them "target hangers" and fence posts. Cheap and readily available and they last a LONG time.

Last edited by MJFlores; July 24, 2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old July 24, 2016, 10:16 PM   #18
rodfac

I use discarded steel tie plates found along rail road right of ways. The holes punched in them for the spikes, make easy attachment points for hanging. But in our use, we bend steel electric fence posts, [round rod about 3/8" in dia,], "S" bend them to support the plate a few inches off the ground. Works well from 5 yds to 100 yds on all pistol rounds up to and including 44 Magnum

They're roughly 8"x15" and vary in thickness from 1/2" to 3/4" in the middle portion which would support the steel rail when in actual use.

Center-fire rifle fire will damage them, although .22 LR from a rifle will not. The divets turned up by 2000 fps rounds of either jacketed or lead allot (They look like small scolloped edged craters) will cause some ricochets of splattered material, though nothing that's broken the skin [another reason if any were needed to wear eye protection].

Best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 26, 2016, 04:42 AM   #19
hnusz

Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. Between work and vacation been busy. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get a to build a stand for it. It has to be portable so I can store it when not in use. I will try to post pictures when done. It will be for handgun only cast bullets only no jacketed.
Old August 1, 2016, 05:24 PM   #20
Shimpy

Quote:
Be careful with steel plates if they're closer than 50yds or so. Years ago when pistol metallic silhouette competition was much popular in my area, I was shooting at 50yd pig targets and got hit with a richochet from one. It was a 44Mag from a Contender. Darn jacket and lead base went thru my bluegeans, punched a hole in my leather boot and came to rest against my shinbone. Pockmarks in those targets from highpower cartridges can cause bullets to come back at almost any angle and will do damage.
A stranger back in the early 70's asked me if he could shoot his .30-.30 into my steel plate up close to see if it would penetrate it. (only about 10 yards) Well the core did penetrate it but the jacket came back and went into his leg (and it's still there, they couldn't remove it). After taking him to the emergency ward and questions from police about a gun shot wound we become the best of friends.
Old August 2, 2016, 09:23 AM   #21
Don P

Quote:
Be careful with steel plates if they're closer than 50yds or so.
At all our competition matches the minimum distance for steel is 23 feet.None of the competitors are dead or wounded so 50 yards is extreme. Guess we must be using some real special kind of steel
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 2, 2016, 10:58 AM   #22
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
At all our competition matches the minimum distance for steel is 23 feet.None of the competitors are dead or wounded so 50 yards is extreme. Guess we must be using some real special kind of steel

If the OP is using mild steel then I would keep them way back, cratered plates will return fire faster than you can think.

AR500 is a different story, which is probably what you were using.

Old August 3, 2016, 02:24 PM   #23
Erno86

I would not go with anything less than 3/8" thick AR500. I have a three hole {for 1/2" diameter bolts} AR550 IDPA target {weighs 20 pounds}, that I hang {two rubber bungee cords hooked, one to each of the bolts} between two 2x4's on a steel stand that is angled forward by a 2x4 four under the rear legs of the stand; and anchored down so I don't have much lead splatter on my 2x4's.

--- George Orwell
Old August 3, 2016, 10:05 PM   #24
hnusz

Sounds like it should be ok. I have to put it on the rifle range because the pistol only range is only 25 yards. Normally I go out Friday mornings rarely has there been anybody else out . Shooting someone else's targets without permission is just not done. 50 yards with hard cast from handguns. Will get before and after pictures.
Old August 4, 2016, 02:32 PM   #25
TimSr

Quote:
Quote:
I have a steel plate that is 17"x17"x1/2" it's a36

This reply,

Quote:
At 25 yds you might want to use a bigger plate ,such as 18x18x1/2

I'm confused, 1" larger is going to make that much difference?
I was scratching my head on that one too.