The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Pahoo

M/L Casting tricks??

Recently bought a bunch of molds and handles from a Buckskinner's relative. Was offered a .457 round ball mold for nothing as they said it was broken. I took a look at it and noticed that there was an old cast, still inside and the sprue, had not been cut. I then explained that it was not broken and would gladly pay for it, as well. Bought an additional four and found that two more were left this way as well. .....

I have been casting for a number of years and have never left a cast this way, nor heard of anyone else doing so. My question is; how common is this practice and to what end? I know that the previous owner, knew his stuff, just not sure whay he did this. .. ... .

Be Safe !!!
Old June 10, 2012, 02:40 PM   #2
PawPaw

With the old iron molds, some folks used to think that leaving a bullet in the mold would stop moisture from entering the mold and suppress rust.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 10, 2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Beagle333

I have read posts from more than one who recommended leaving the last one in the mold.
Old June 10, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4
GP100man

Well , living a stones throw from the Atlatic Ocean I`d never leave a boolit in a cavity for storage .

Clean it & oil it , ya can always degrease it & have a like new mold !!!
Old June 11, 2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Pahoo

We all have our own ways !!

Quote:
I`d never leave a boolit in a cavity for storage. Clean it & oil it , ya can always degrease it & have a like new mold !!!
This is pretty much what I have been doing for a number of years and was slightly surprised by what I found. We are in the Midwest and estimate that these had been sitting in there for at least five years. Would add that after popping them out, there were no signs of rust. We all have our own techniques for doing things and this was his. Just found it interesting ...

Be Safe !!!