The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
mattvct

Reloading the .327 Federal on a Pro 1000 press

Hi, I searched but couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I have a Lee Pro 1000 that I use to reload 9mm, 9x18 mak, 40 and .223, but am interested in reloading the 327 Federal cartridge as well and am at a loss on how to proceed.

I have seen several articles online stating that I can use "the RCBS" dies but the articles don't specify on which set of dies (I assume they mean the standard .32 dies?)

Also, even if I were to use the RCBS dies, I believe I would need to hand-charge each round, sincethe RCBS dies don't do through-die charging?

Does anyone have any experience reloading this round that could let me know which part numbers to order and any major pitfalls to be aware of?

Thanks!
Old December 27, 2011, 01:00 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

The RCBS part number for their carbide 3-die set is: 21412.
Hornady has now, officially, labelled their dies for .327 Federal (pn 546509).

.32 H&R dies from Redding (88261), and Lee (.32 S&W Long / .32 H&R - pn 90809) work as well.

If you want powder-through-expander case charging, just find a Lee .32 S&W Long expander die (pn 90490). I very much dislike the profile of their expanders, but most of that is due to personal preference, and the particular bullets I use.
Old December 27, 2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Sevens

The Lee .32 H&R Magnum dies work perfectly well on a Lee Pro-1000 (and any other press) and include the powder-thru-expander you seek. For a shell plate, it's the same one that works for .380 Auto.

I use a Pro-1000 to great effect for all my brass prepping. (I size, deprime, reprime and mouth flare with it) while I continue to meter my own powder and seat each round with my single stage press. I obviously do exactly that for my .327 Federal loads. About the only difference in doing .327 on the Pro-1000 from all the others that I do is simply that .327 is long, thin & tall, which makes them a bit wobbly and top-heavy while moving them in to the Pro-1000. Not a big problem, but not quite as super-smooth and fast as, say, the squatty little 9mm.