The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2010, 07:06 PM   #1
BDX

Case Trimmer Suggestions: Bummed with Trim Pro

I am in the middle of some warranty stuff with RCBS over a brand new Trim Pro Manual that has an alignment issue between cutter head and case center on the vise side of the tool.

I love RCBS, and probably always will love most of my RCBS products, but after this trimmer was returned following "warranty repair" I'm..ahhh...well....we'll see how it ends up. Not every company can do every tool perfectly. When components are milled first then assembled and "expected" to align, as opposed to actually aligned following assembly, one should expect a percentage of spanked product. I think mine was spanked pretty hard.

Anyway I may need to return the tool to Midway in an exchange. In prep for this possibility I'd like to get some feedback or concensus on a decent case trimmer that does the job well. Budget ~ < $150.

Thnx

Last edited by BDX; January 26, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old January 26, 2010, 07:52 PM   #2
sourdough44

How much capacity & what types do you want to set up for? I get by fine with the hand Lee trimmers for big game rifles & the Wilson hand crank trimmer for 204,223, & 22-250, & a few 30-06. I usually don't have to trim handgun brass. Of course once you trim you should be good for a while.
Old January 26, 2010, 07:52 PM   #3
rg1

Only have experience with two manual trimmers, the Forster Original and Lymans Universal case trimmers. The Forster has best case alignment with the cutter shaft. Collets for the Forster works well holding all cases but the handle to tighten the collet is rough on the hands after a large batch of cases. For long cases you will need the longer base. Different size bases are optional. A nice manual trimmer all-around. A nice case neck turning attachment is also available.
The Lyman Universal case trimmer that was given as a Christmas present has some good points and some bad. The universal case chuck works nicely. The cutter shaft turns in a fiber bushing, not metal to metal, and there is some play between the cutter shaft and the fiber bushing. The cutter and the chuck lines up ok even with the play, self-aligning I guess you'd say. The cutter itself is replaceable and now can be bought with a carbide cutter. The handle on the cutter shaft is loose. The shaft is crimped into the handle and the crimp wasn't enough to lock the shaft tightly in the arm. Wobbles when turning the cutter shaft.
Both ok manual trimmers but some improvements could be made for both. Of the two I'd recommend the Forster and it's accessories available.http://www.forsterproducts.com/store...05&catid=19938

Last edited by rg1; January 26, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old January 26, 2010, 07:54 PM   #4
jimkim

I use the Lee system. I use a cordless drill in place of the Ziptrim. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a trimmer, it would be a Forster. I like the accessories you can get for it. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=614276

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcTcD...1&feature=fvwp
Old January 26, 2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

I have a Wilson trimmer. I really don't have enough personal experience to say if it's better or worse than others. However, when I was doing my research and reading the reviews of trimmers over at Midway, it was hands-down the best rated by folks who had them.
Old January 26, 2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Tim R

My Forester has servd me well.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Ditto on the Wilson. It is both less expensive and has a design that inherently better aligns case and cutter. I like the Sinclair stands for them, but one of those wipes out the cost savings on the brand.

I've heard a couple of folks speak favorably of the Possum Hollow trimmers.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 26, 2010, 09:13 PM   #8
joneb

For tapered wall cases I use the Wilson trimmer and I am quite pleased with it. For straight walled cases I use a Lyman Universal trimmer which works ok.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Rod38um

I have the Hornady cam lock. Its the only one I've ever had and it works perfectly. So I cant really compare. It has different caliber inserts for the cutter blade so its always aligned and it requires you use a hornady shell holder. Its not to difficult to get the length set and very easy to move from case to case once you start. I just zipped thru forty 7mm mag cases this afternoon.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:15 PM   #10
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have the Lyman Universal myself . Mine has a brass bushing on the cutter shaft . I fixed the loose handle by welding it to the shaft . Lyman is real good about selling parts and upgrade kits for their products . Give them a call or go online . I bought the drill adapter kit for the trimmer , so now I have a convertible , I can turn it by hand or with a cordless drill with the turn of one screw. I've been using this rig for 20 years and haven't replaced the cutter yet .
Old January 26, 2010, 09:38 PM   #11
madd0c

+1 for L.E. Wilson case trimmer. Uses shellholders that hold the case concentricly like a chamber. Perfect alignment.
I would recommend getting the $15 power adapter and chucking it in a drill. I can do 150 cases or so in an hour no problem. I use it for .223 and .308.

If you do get one, be sure to oil it with rem oil or similar when you get it over the entire trimmer and all shellholders. I found out quickly that the high quality, high carbon tool steel they use definitely is not stainless, and will rust in a day or two if not protected.

madd0c
Old January 26, 2010, 10:22 PM   #12
BDX

Thanks guys

Thats a pretty good cross section of opinions. What I found interesting was none of you said anything about the RCBS...the silence was deafening

We'll see if RCBS can fix the thing or at least get me one that is on center. I was surprised by the number of "off center" comments in tool reviews I found when I started digging. Just about everyone of them was returned for either a Hornaday, Forster or Wilson.

To answer a question that was asked about calibers i load, none of them are long cartridges to speak of: .357 Mag, .38, .43 Spanish, .44 mag, 9mm, .223, 30-40 Krag, .244 Remington.

I would think that the Forster Classic would be fine from a shell length perspective. I need to spend some more time looking at the Wilson. The nice thing about the Hornaday is ( i think) it will use the RCBS shell holders from my RCBS Jr3. Thats a pleasant savings considering I had to buy specialized holders for the Trim Pro.

Feel free to jump in if i was in error about the shell holders.
Old January 26, 2010, 10:27 PM   #13
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I got the Wilson because is was cheap and highly regarded. I have been very happy with it. I have not got the power adapter for it, but even manually it moves pretty quickly.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:33 AM   #14
jdscholer

Quote:
What I found interesting was none of you said anything about the RCBS...the silence was deafening
I haven't used the "Trim Pro", but I own the old RCBS Rotary Case Trimmer and the variation in length that I end up with is ---pretty bad. It's because of the way the collet sucks the case back more or less depending on the diameter of the rim, or the tension you apply when you tighten it.

As is often the case, the Lee system offers a simple, quick, and inexpensive alternative. I do it by putting the cutter and pilot in my cordless drill, and would go head to head with anyone using another system in a race. (ATTN: Never race when reloading)

The results with the Lee are good with concentricity depending on the accuracy of the flash hole, and length upon the pilot rod. I hardly use the RCBS anymore. jd
Old January 27, 2010, 10:08 AM   #15
rvdoc

I have the same issue with mine. I ordered the RCBS kit and it came with it. I noticed though that if you slightly push down on the shell holder handle when you put the cutter end into the casing that it lines up ok. I also added my own cordless drill attachment and that works great and much faster. I will be watching this forum to see your results with RCBS. Thanks
Old January 27, 2010, 07:35 PM   #16
James R. Burke

Mine has always worked great. Send her back and get a nww on
Old January 27, 2010, 07:40 PM   #17
attila787

Possum hollow:

Case trimmer with power adapter. PERIOD

I was in the same dilemma and found this online. WOW! it works great!

Make sure you get the power adapter it's a must.

http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/...-trimmers.html
Old January 27, 2010, 08:03 PM   #18
TRguy

I like my Lyman Universal with the power adapter.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/c...mmer-combo.php
Old January 27, 2010, 08:13 PM   #19
oldscot3

I have had the same RCBS trimmer for over 25 years. When I bought it, it had collets and later I switched it over to the shell plate system.

I recently bought the Forster power trimmer that is used with a drill press. I spent a small fortune on the collets and pilots (since the RCBS parts are different) but it's a pretty nice set up. Since you align with the cutter when you mount the fixture to your drill press, if there's a problem, you just readjust it.
Old January 27, 2010, 09:53 PM   #20
colospgsAVID

I started with Lee trimmers for each cartridge. They work ok i guess. I now am using the Lyman Universal. I like the Lyman better as I can set it to what ever length I want.
Old January 28, 2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Inspector3711

I really like my Forster.... If you check Cabelas they may still sell it with three collets and five arbors. It saves you about $25 as I recall. They only make four collets and the three that come with it will probably handle everything you reload. I added the power adapter for 6 or 7 bucks and power it with a cordless drill.

As far as I've seen, only Cabelas offers the package deal.
Old January 28, 2010, 07:52 PM   #22
aerod1

My Lyman Universal has worked well for me. I bought the drill motor power adapter! Works great.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old January 28, 2010, 09:45 PM   #23
Sidewinder72

I have two trimmers. My RCBS does not cut square mouths. So I use the Lyman universal, and like it real well. Mine doesn't have a plastic bushing. Cuts the mouths square. My RCBS is crap, but I do use it for pistol cases.
Old January 28, 2010, 10:39 PM   #24
BDX

@rvdoc

Quote:
I have the same issue with mine. I ordered the RCBS kit and it came with it. I noticed though that if you slightly push down on the shell holder handle when you put the cutter end into the casing that it lines up ok. I also added my own cordless drill attachment and that works great and much faster. I will be watching this forum to see your results with RCBS. Thanks
Ditto, I had to relieve the tension on the shell case to create some movement in the case mouth so the pilot/collar would slip in...I dont have a problem with the fact that the unit puts lot of tension on the case when its gripped by the "vise" (as some have complained). The issue is/was that the cutting head tool did not line up on center with the case. The problem comes after youve slipped the collar in and put the shell back under all that tension. You are now pulling that casing against the collar and creating an angle, however slight, based on fit of the pilot and how badly off the centering was. My alignment issue was significant; the collar wore on the interior of the casing and the cut started and ended off square.

In all likelihood, the tool is not centered/aligned after assembly. I would wager that they expect the tool to line up during assembly based on solely on design and milling tolerances. I'm not so sure that the faith in their sub-contrator is that well deserved. I believe some factory QA would demonstrate.

Because the unit is heavily painted/coated in the saddle where the cutter guide is eventually mounted it wouldnt surprise me if paint thickness alone could upset alignment. If I knew for sure I was keeping it I'd take it apart, remove any paint and re-bed the cutter guide almost like a new barrel.

You line bore the lower end journals of an engine before you fit the crank. The principle here is the same. Ideally some sort of alignment adjustment needs to occur prior to and/or during assembly. Don't expect the cutter shaft to line up just because the screw goes in the hole of the cutter guide.

I would have hoped that adjustment could be readily accomplished by both the factory and customer if necessary. In the case of the Trim Pro they are relying exclusively on design tolerances and there is not much margin for error.

RCBS to their credit has agreed to pay for the return and take the unit back a second time. They want to re-evaluate the unit and make a decison to either replace or address both the original problem of alignment and the rather significant issues created by thier intial repair attempt. If they send a second unit I asked that it be checked for alignment beofre they ship it.

Last edited by BDX; January 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:31 PM   #25
snipecatcher

When I was using an RCBS trimmer, I LOATHED case trimming. The collet shell holder is a pain to deal with. Now that I have a Wilson, I don't mind case trimming so much. I got it from Sinclair, with the base plate and shark fin adapter. I have the power adapter too, though I've never used it. I don't see myself going to another system anytime soon, the Wilson works perfect for my purposes.