The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2007, 05:27 AM   #1
jack robson

Loading brass 410

Midway has brass 410 cases. Does anyone have experience loading these. I will be shooting them in single and double guns. Thanks Jack.
Old October 5, 2007, 11:43 AM   #2
snuffy

I have SOME experience loading them. There's several problems associated with loads for them. One is they're thinner than a plastic or paper casing. That means any wads used will be a loose fit. Powder can and will migrate past the powder gas seal. Two, there's the crimp. The best way is to somehow cause a taper crimp on the brass end of the shell. It HAS to hold the overshot wad in place. I figured out that pressing the completed shell into a 7mm mag sizing die, (with the decapper stem removed), made a nice taper crimp. That's another thing, the need for an overshot wad.

Decapping is done with a universal decapper in a metallic loading press. Priming can easily be done using a shell holder for the magnums, 7mm 300win mag in whatever priming apparatus you might have. They take a large pistol primer.

Overshot wads and other specialty shotgun stuff is available at ;
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

You'll need to size them after they're fired, I bought a conversion kit for my mec 600 jr, it had, of course, a sizer that works fine for the all brass shells.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?