The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 1, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1
mbpautz762

10mm brass and recoil spring??

I just got a Dan Wesson PM7 in 10mm and I love everything about it. the only problem is that it launches the brass about 15 feet behind me, so I keep losing my hard-earned (and expensive) cases! I shoot in a wooded area, so it's hard enough to keep up with them.
here's my question: If I changed to a 24 lb recoil spring (it comes with a 20lb stock spring), would it help keep the brass a little closer? also, I heard that the heavier spring will increase wear and tear on the gun because it slams the slide forward with more force than what it was designed for. is this true??

thanks for your time, guys!
Old October 2, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Linear Thinker

mb - you might get a good answer in the general forum.

I've never heard of a 1911-design gun being battered by a heavier spring - quite the opposite. Try a 24-lb spring, and be mindful of the downsides:
Harder to hand-cycle
Short-stroke possibility, with resulting erratic extraction and ejection

Another option: a good gunsmith may be able to tune the ejector for you, so the brass lands to the side. An expensive solution to a few missed brass - your call.
Good luck,
LT
Old October 2, 2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Musketeer

try www.10mmtalk.com

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old October 3, 2007, 12:34 AM   #4
joneb

I don't know about DW 1911s but for Colt 1911(Delta) a over sized firing pin stop will slow the rearward side movement, these OS pin stops need to be custom fit. For the Delta Elite this is a better solution to a heavier recoil spring.
Old October 3, 2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Alleykat

Chances are the stresses caused by the violent slamming of the slide rearward, when a too-weak spring is used are a lot more damaging to the pistol than the stresses caused by using the 24# spring.

Check out Wolff Springs website. Their guidelines for choosing recoil spring weight, based on ejection distance, make sense to me.
Old October 3, 2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Sevens

I'm not at all familiar with the Dan Wesson 10mm, but if it's based on a 1911 platform, I'd see if you can employ some Wilson Shock-Buff buffers in there. I use 'em on my .45 and I like how they work. Incredibly simple but effective.

As for controlling your brass... Best of luck. It's a pain in the butt and I'm in the same damn boat with my S&W 1006. It chucks 'em in to the next county.
Old October 4, 2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Alleykat

Per my reference to Wolff Springs, if you're pistol is throwing brass "into the next county," then you need a stronger recoil spring. The buffer won't slow down the slide, which is what's needed.
Old October 4, 2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Sevens

I wasn't suggesting that the Wilson Shock-Buffs would keep his pistol from flinging brass far and wide, I was adressing his concerns that his pistol is getting beat up by the slamming slide.

I haven't altered the recoil spring in my 1006 but I may look in to that, not to make my brass easy to police, but to experiment with reduced loads and unjacketed bullets. So I appreciate the reminder.