The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 10, 2002, 05:36 PM   #1
Loupgarou

Any good outdoor ranges in So. Florida?

Anyone know of a good one, preferably an outdoors shooting range? I recently became an IDPA member but the only outdoor ranges in Miami and Broward are run by the county and you can only shoot in them under the supervision of rangemasters. Are there any ranges in which you can shoot more than just paper targets, like pop-ups, metal targets and silhouettes, competition courses, etc. Please excuse my obvious ignorance on the subject, but South Florida has become a practical shooters desert in the last fifteen years or so. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old July 15, 2002, 08:32 PM   #2
DanP

Been watching this post, unfortunately no replies.

While I don't really have an issue with rangemasters (particularly when there are strangers with guns around me) I really wish we had broader, more active ranges.

Makes one think about buying some land out there...

Any idea if the reservations out west offer anything?
Old July 16, 2002, 03:13 PM   #3
Loupgarou

I became weary of looking for answers too, then I finally checked back and noted your comments. Thanks for posting. Regarding your question, no, I've never heard of reservation land being available for target practice, although it would be a good idea for the enterprising tribes that run the Miccossukee (sp?) property. Buying land would probably be the best idea, as you inferred. This subject has come up in conversations with friends. I guess the challenge here is to find the right place and the right pool of co-owners.
Old July 18, 2002, 06:26 AM   #4
Bill Barrett

I am moving to Palm Bay, Florida and have found the Port Malibar Rifle and Pistol Club. I will be affiliating with them once I move there.

They have IPSC.

Try http://www.portmalabarrpclub.com/

If you know something about them let me know.
Old July 20, 2002, 08:33 AM   #5

South FL outdoor ranges

I moved to SFL a couple of years ago and have been thinking of buying a rifle for far longer...finally bought a preban AR -15 and have been looking for ranges.

Here's what I've found:

Sebastian (near Vero Beach)
http://bcc1.co.indian-river.fl.us/de..._range/gun.htm

Sunrise (Broward)
http://www.co.broward.fl.us/parks/pri01600.htm

These are the only two I was able to find - & haven't been to either yet.

Good luck - and pls post if you find anything else.
Old July 20, 2002, 01:56 PM   #6
DanP

Markham is a great place, but crowded and 100yds max. Still, a fine place. Great park in general for the family as well if you are into that.

There is another outdoor range SW Miami, county owned too (Glades).

I'll have to look at a map find out where Vero Beach is... hopefully not too far north.
Old July 20, 2002, 06:06 PM   #7

Vero's about 90 miles north of West Palm Beach, where I live, so further if you're in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

If you do go let me know how it is...one of these days I'll get up there.
Old July 23, 2002, 08:32 PM   #8
DanP

Vero would be quite a ways for me, but then again on a cool sunny weekend...

I'll do a shameless plug for a great indoor range though in S. Broward: American Range on Pembroke just west of I-95.

The new owner that took over perhaps a year ago has converted the place into a clean, well lit, friendly joint. More importantly (for me) it has the best ventilation system I've seen in an indoor range in this area.

Just finding the new ownership to be great guys all around, really enjoy shooting there a couple of times a week.

I think that once the place gets a bit more of a membership this guy will be willing to invest into funner things - moving or holos perhaps.

In any event, support your local ranges please.
Old July 24, 2002, 04:45 PM   #9
Loupgarou

American Range in Broward

Coincidentally, last weekend I was planning to go to the American Range for the first time, but the rains deterred me from getting onto the Turnpike (I live in Dade). I will probably go this weekend. Hope I see you there, Dan, and all of you thanks for replying to my original post. Ah, well, it seems it's going to be indoor range in South Florida for me for at least a while yet.