The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 17, 2016, 07:08 AM   #1
ADKR

NY and Alcoholism

On the NY form to become a registered gun owner it asks if you have been treated for drug or alcohol abuse. I was five years ago and thanks to that and AA have been sober five years. Does anyone know if this going to prevent me from getting a permit?
Old June 17, 2016, 09:49 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I live in NYS and never heard of this. There are no NYS permits other than pistol permits. Clarify your subject matter. Rifle? Where in NY? Something for New York City? They seem to have exceptions to the general state laws. So far, no one has had to fill out a form to become "a registered gun owner" as a state requirement.
Old June 17, 2016, 09:52 AM   #3
FITASC

I'm venturing a guess from having lived there decades ago - a yes answer will get you denied under one of the various "mental health" clauses antis are pushing to get a lot of folks denied.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 17, 2016, 10:04 AM   #4
Lohman446

This is one of the dangers of advocating for laws to prevent gun violence. I think you and I can all agree a diagnosed schizophrenic who has expressed violent delusions and stated a desire to live without medication should not be allowed to own a firearm. However if we turn this into vague "mental health" discussions the laws get written in a way that obstruct individuals who do not present a threat. In the long term the bigger concern should be that people then refuse to seek treatment because they are concerned about the long term implications IE - "if I seek help my rights will be curtailed in the future, better to try to get through this alone"
Old June 17, 2016, 10:48 AM   #5
mete

Be very careful when asked ANY question about guns by any person in the medical field. I was told that doctors must ask though this is not my experience in the last three years .
There are doctors who are members of an anti-gun group who use their position to further their agenda !!
Also be careful about this if you have kids in the house !!
Old June 17, 2016, 10:50 AM   #6
carguychris

I'd recommend consulting with an attorney familiar with NY firearms law. There is the possibility of criminal penalties for lying on the form, but it's also possible that there's effectively a "sunset" provision on treatment that was sought in the distant past, even if it's only informal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
I'm venturing a guess from having lived there decades ago - a yes answer will get you denied under one of the various "mental health" clauses antis are pushing to get a lot of folks denied.
True, but a "yes" may merely trigger added scrutiny depending on the nature of the treatment, how long ago it was completed, and perhaps most importantly, whether the person sought it voluntarily or was ordered by the courts to do so after an arrest.
Old June 17, 2016, 11:09 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

As said, see a local attorney aware of the issues.

Discussing something that might lead to lying (not saying that will happen) in a legal situation is best not discussed here.

Thus, the question is answered.

Closed.