The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 13, 2013, 11:17 AM   #1
dave9969

Wingmaster 20 Gauge

I've got a 20 gauge 870 here that I have owned for a couple of years.
It was a fairly inexpensive pawn shop buy, I knew it needed some work when I got it.
It had a home paint job of some god awful green an white attempt at a camo paint job. They did NO prep painted rite over the rusted barrel and the fore end pump was cracked rite down the inside center.
After some time soaking in a solvent bath, and rustoleum removed, I had the gun re-parkerized, yes I know they weren't parkerized from the factory just a cheap almost blue'd finish. I figured may as well do it rite. The gun smith used marine epoxy and patched up the pump action like new, and the wood grain is nice again no more paint.
The reason why I am here today, is that lately when I go to load it, the shells are not going where they should.
With the first round, when I push it in the breech from the lower, and pump to load it fails and end up under the ramp and not going into the chamber. My best guess so far is that the shell latches may be tired an not holding correctly.
Any input would be appreciated, I don't have a lot of shot gun experience mostly pistols and semi-automatic rifles. So, I figured ask the folks that do have the knowledge after all.
Old July 13, 2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Virginian

The shell latches rarely get "tired" for tens of thousands of rounds. Have you tried dropping the first round in the ejection port and then pushing the pump forward? What happens then? Are you pushing the shell fully into the magazine and is the carrier coming back fully down? The 870 needs to be cocked to load shells into the magazine by the way. Chamber can be empty, but the hammer needs to be cocked.
Old July 14, 2013, 10:13 AM   #3
dave9969

really? Had never heard that a 870 needs to be cocked to load it, but in all honesty last time I loaded it I was shooting to so it may have been actually cocked.
as I mentioned not a lot of shot gun experience mostly pistols an semi auto rifles in my past this is a new area for me
and a probably simple question to many but there is no hammer on a wing master per-say it has a trigger but no conventional hammer to manually cock like a pistol would. again I apologize if its a silly question, but my knowledge of shot guns is mostly point an shoot so I am not trying to be ignorant its truly a lack of knowledge

Last edited by dave9969; July 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old July 14, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
dave9969

ok tried to breach load it like you suggested, and pumped the action, the shell loaded, and then loaded one from the bottom and it immediately popped back under the ramp feeder(not sure of the correct term here the flap that goes up to slide shells in or to feed the chamber on cocking the action
Old July 14, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Virginian

Sounds like you have a bent or broken feed latch. I forget which one, left or right, and I am too lazy to look.