The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 22, 2011, 02:57 PM   #1
snyper85

Tactical reload

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOwI8AO3QY8

I think if i keep it shouldered it would be faster but it was my first try.
Old August 22, 2011, 03:01 PM   #2
colostomyclown

how very tactical.
Old August 26, 2011, 07:20 PM   #3
anonymousFolk

Very nice. Makes me want to go practice right now.
Old August 26, 2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good start. Try it also with the shotgun mounted using the strong hand and having your ammo over on the right side. One method or the other will work better for you.
Old August 26, 2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

Keeping the gun shouldered is faster. Keeping eyes on the threat not on the gun is IMPERATIVE. Learn to load by feel. Load one shoot one (loading into the loading port) is what I'd rather do, if possible, as that leaves a live round in the chamber while a round is being loaded. Running the gun empty means load TWO shoot one to start with. Cover is for loading...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 27, 2011, 02:11 PM   #6
snyper85

Thanks for the input lee. I have been going through a couple different scnarios at the range run & shoot, shoulder while reloading, cover & reload. After 250 rounds you should see my shoulder
Old August 27, 2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

Different trainers teach different methods, and what's best for any one shooter is whatever works best for that particular shooter. Here's a little different approach to your through-the-ejection-port method that you might enjoy seeing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7AjaNwtKww&NR=1 Don't short stroke though...

Now if the magazine ever goes down/fails to function on a tube fed gun for whatever reason, then being practiced at loading through the ejection port is all of a sudden going to be a Very Good Thing. But as long as the magazine is working, I was taught to use it, because normal reloading is done through the loading port and even under pressure it's possible to reload that way quickly if it's a practiced skill. Same deal for select slug drills, they can be done through the magazine or through the ejection port, but the more methods of loading you try to keep in your mind the more likely (IMHO) it is to screw up whatever you try to do under pressure. KISS definitely applies, figure out what works for you and practice that a lot.

And stay focused on the threat, plus whatever friends the threat might have around too. But don't beat yourself into a flinch while you're learning...

hth,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Last edited by Lee Lapin; August 28, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old August 28, 2011, 03:38 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

Your ammo is in the wrong place. And you're looking for it. Watch the video yourself too. I'd lose whatever it is you're wearing. Too much excess stuff that has nothing to do with loading a shotgun. An ammo belt or bandolier is more natural. http://www.securityprousa.com/ammobelts.html
Get a mag extension as well. Three rounds in the shotgun is for hunting migratory birds only.
Old August 28, 2011, 08:36 AM   #9
okiewita40

My dept. does something similar to the video. Only we start with an open chamber. Have 3 shells in the forward hand. load 1 in the port, run the pump forward and load the other 2 in the normal manner. Then we shoot all 3 rounds. all of this is done in 7 seconds. Then again we call it combat loading. I have yet in 20 years to see anything tactical done on a shooting range. Paper is not that hard to sneak up on nor does it shoot back at you.
Old August 28, 2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Lee Lapin

Get a mag extension as well. Three rounds in the shotgun is for hunting migratory birds only.

Louis Awerbuck - No magazine is ever big enough. (class lecture)

Clint Smith - Didja notice that this one, even with the long magazine tube, eventually went empty? So, we still gotta practice loadin' 'em. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

Mindset. SKILLSET. Toolset. In that order!, said COL Boyd.
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/

lpl

Old August 28, 2011, 01:59 PM   #11
snyper85

Whats with all the negative comments?